Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > PCR - Polymerase Chain Reaction Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PCR - Polymerase Chain Reaction Forum PCR - Polymerase Chain Reaction Forum. Discuss and ask questions about PCR troubleshooting, PCR protocols and methods, PCR products, and PCR theory.

Problem amplifying using colony PCR as template

Problem amplifying using colony PCR as template - PCR - Polymerase Chain Reaction Forum

Problem amplifying using colony PCR as template - PCR - Polymerase Chain Reaction Forum. Discuss and ask questions about PCR troubleshooting, PCR protocols and methods, PCR products, and PCR theory.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2010, 07:23 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 380, Level: 7 Points: 380, Level: 7 Points: 380, Level: 7
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Problem amplifying using colony PCR as template

Hi,

I amplified a 3.2kb gene from E coli K12 genomic DNA by colony PCR (1 colony in 20uL dH2O, heated at 95C for 10min, 1uL for PCR). The band seems to be of the right size (see attached colony PCR.jpg (4th lane), marker is GeneRuler, 250,500,750,1000,1500,2000,2500,3000,3500bp etc from btm to top).

To get more product for digestion and cloning, I took 0.5uL of the PCR product to be the template for a second PCR, using the same cycle, conditions and primers but with the annealing temperature raised from 50C to 55C (primers are 36-mers with 23 bases overlapping the gene). However, this gave me only two bands <1kb (2nd PCR.jpg).

For verification, I repeated the PCR again with a primer that anneals to the 1980-2000 bases in the gene and reverting to annealing at 50C. That gave me a band of ~1kb (internal primer.jpg).

I will try a few things next week but I have a few questions:

1) Why did the second PCR give only bands of low molecular weight? The major band is at 3kb but why are the low molecular weight pdts amplified instead? What could I do to use the colony PCR as the template or is this acceptable at all?

2) Would the 5C difference in annealing temperature make such a big difference? I used 50C for the colony PCR because only 23 bases anneal to the gene. With the PCR pdt, all 36bp should anneal since 55C is way lower than the Tm (~73C), shouldn't they?

3) Does the band amplified using the internal primer look too low for 1.2kb or is a little deviation ok? Is the presence of the intense band an indication that the colony PCR pdt is my gene? Or could it be a result of other non-specific pdts in the colony PCR?

4) The resolution for the higher bands are poor. Could this be due to "dead" TAE buffer?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg colony PCR.jpg (11.7 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 2nd PCR.jpg (8.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg internal primer.jpg (7.1 KB, 50 views)
Old 09-18-2010, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Problem amplifying using colony PCR as template

I have a few comments, first 50C is a bit low especially if you have not optimized the PCR reaction - especially for genomic DNA which can easily amplify non-specifics or worse get primer dimers competing in your reaction - you cut the gel short possibly as I cannot see the bottom - did you have any primer dimers?

I guess the key easy method would be to amplify your gene and cut the band out, do gel extraction and TOPO clone the piece. That is the easiest method.

I agree always use fresh buffer especially TAE for DNA gels.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:25 AM
Pipette Filler

Thanks for the reply. I used 50C because the lower annealing temperature of the 2 primer is only ~52C for the 23 bases that anneal to the gene. I think I cut 2 of the gels short but all the visible bands are shown - no significant primer dimer.
The Following User Says Thank You to jlf For This Useful Post:
admin (09-18-2010)
Old 09-24-2010, 04:00 PM
Pipette Filler

Just a quick update. I tried increasing the annealing temperature to 65C and cycling 20x for the 2nd PCR. That gave me a distinct (but not intense) band where I want with some faint non specific low MW products. However, cycling 30x gave huge bands at low MW again and my band at 3kb becomes a smear at 2.5kb (similar to lane 2 of "colony PCR.jpg"). Two-step PCR at 70C and 30x gave no improvement. I've stopped optimisation and proceeded with 2x50uL reactions to get enough DNA for cloning. I'm still curious though regarding the failure to get more products, so please let me know if you have any idea what's going on.

Tags
amplifying , colony , pcr , problem , template