Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > PCR - Polymerase Chain Reaction Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PCR - Polymerase Chain Reaction Forum PCR - Polymerase Chain Reaction Forum. Discuss and ask questions about PCR troubleshooting, PCR protocols and methods, PCR products, and PCR theory.

PCR negative control contamination with bands of a different size!!

PCR negative control contamination with bands of a different size!! - PCR - Polymerase Chain Reaction Forum

PCR negative control contamination with bands of a different size!! - PCR - Polymerase Chain Reaction Forum. Discuss and ask questions about PCR troubleshooting, PCR protocols and methods, PCR products, and PCR theory.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2010, 08:12 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 727, Level: 14 Points: 727, Level: 14 Points: 727, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Unhappy PCR negative control contamination with bands of a different size!!

Hi all!

I have a thing going on with my PCR! My negative controls, both the mix one and the one when you add the DNA sample, show contamination. But the thing is the band (around 400 bp) is different that the target sequence. I'm typifing Trypanosoma cruzi from bugs' rectal ampoule samples, so I do a series of PCR with different target sequence but this bands keeps showing up!
I guess my two mail questions are:
1-What is going on?!
2-Is this considered contamination? Because, I mean, the band size is different that the positive bands you get if you have any type of T. cruzi...

Thanks a lot!
Old 06-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Graduate Student
Points: 2,626, Level: 33 Points: 2,626, Level: 33 Points: 2,626, Level: 33

Default Re: PCR negative control contamination with bands of a different size!!

Some questions first:

The "contamination" band you always get is always the same size? It appears in all your PCR?

What's the PCR program you're using for every primer pair? Are all the same or not?

Are all PCR reactions equally on DNA concentration, primers and everything else?

What do you mean by "mix" negative control and "the one when you add the DNA sample" negative control?

This can give us a better clue of what's going on
Old 06-14-2010, 03:36 PM
Pipette Filler

Hi! thanks for taking an interest!

Yes, the band is always the same size and yes it does appear in more than one PCR. The program varies from primer pair to another.
the DNA concentration is the same for all of them while the primers, Mg, buffer, etc isn't.
Regarding the negative controls, I have two for each round of PCR, both with water instead of DNA template. The first one is while doing the master mix. I put the mix in all the little eppendorfs and then in one of them I put water. Later on I don't add anything else. The other is while adding the DNA samples in the mix. That is in another eppendorf I put water instead of DNA. The water for each control is from a different water stock. The idea of making two negative controls is to test for possible contamination in this two stages.
Well, I hope this clarifies a bit!
Old 06-15-2010, 02:46 AM
Graduate Student
Points: 2,626, Level: 33 Points: 2,626, Level: 33 Points: 2,626, Level: 33

You said the contamination appears in more than one PCR. I can deduce from what you said that the contaminationa appears only in some PCR (more than one) but not in all your PCR programs. Is that true? Because if it only appears in some PCR, you should check what do those PCR program/mixes have in common. DNA or primer concentration, some other reactive, etc.

I thought it was water that was contaminated, because it's kinda common it cross-contaminates with the target DNA, or the primers, but now you mention you vary the Mg and the buffer, it gives me something else to think, because you can't simply state the water is not contaminated "because the contamination doesn't appear in all the pcr I use this water in" because you're varying many other factors that can be implied.

Check what things share in common those PCR that show the contamination in their negative controls, and this way you can better state where is the problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to SebaQ For This Useful Post:
Luli (07-01-2010)
Old 07-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Pipette Filler

Yeah, I did some tests and I think it was the sample of water I had taken but also some contamination in the primers.

Thanks!

Tags
bands , contamination , control , negative , pcr , size