Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > PCR - Polymerase Chain Reaction Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PCR - Polymerase Chain Reaction Forum PCR - Polymerase Chain Reaction Forum. Discuss and ask questions about PCR troubleshooting, PCR protocols and methods, PCR products, and PCR theory.

negative control gives band same as positive control

negative control gives band same as positive control - PCR - Polymerase Chain Reaction Forum

negative control gives band same as positive control - PCR - Polymerase Chain Reaction Forum. Discuss and ask questions about PCR troubleshooting, PCR protocols and methods, PCR products, and PCR theory.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2010, 06:49 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 39, Level: 1 Points: 39, Level: 1 Points: 39, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Question negative control gives band same as positive control

I run PCR with RNA (untreated with DNAse) to see the if there was integration of transgene to genome. But my PCR negative controls showed band same size as my positive control and it is as intense as my positive control. I ran another PCR to confirm that I dont accidently change my negative control with sample but the band still there for the second time. if it cause by master mix contamination then it is suppose to be that all my lane have the same band right. or it is possible that my master mix contaminate. please help me
Old 04-16-2010, 07:11 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 1,961, Level: 27 Points: 1,961, Level: 27 Points: 1,961, Level: 27

Default Re: negative control gives band same as positive control

If a negative control is positive, I would think it's some kind of contamination.

If your mastermix is contaminated, then all of your bands will have the same band if all of your samples are made with the same mastermix.

But it's also possible that it's only your negative control in itself that is contaminated
Old 04-16-2010, 09:37 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 39, Level: 1 Points: 39, Level: 1 Points: 39, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora Borealis View Post
If a negative control is positive, I would think it's some kind of contamination.

If your mastermix is contaminated, then all of your bands will have the same band if all of your samples are made with the same mastermix.

But it's also possible that it's only your negative control in itself that is contaminated
thanx Aurora

yeah now that you say so, I also don't think my master mix was contaminated. my supervisor ask me to re run my pcr with his mastermix. hope this time my negative control doesn't give unwanted band
Old 04-19-2010, 05:03 PM
Volunteer
Points: 1,375, Level: 21 Points: 1,375, Level: 21 Points: 1,375, Level: 21

Make sure you run a lane with no DNA or RNA--replace your template with plain water. This will tell you if your band is produced by contamination in the master mix, or if there's some endogenous sequence or contaminating sequence in your negative control cDNA that is amplifying.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:03 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 995, Level: 17 Points: 995, Level: 17 Points: 995, Level: 17

Hi adiza!With my little experience of pcr, your negative control might have been contaminated from previous pcr amplification products (amplicons) or as a result of cross contamination. So i suggest that you repeat the whole process after thorough decontamination of the workbenches and equipments.

Tags
band , control , negative , positive