Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > PCR - Polymerase Chain Reaction Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PCR - Polymerase Chain Reaction Forum PCR - Polymerase Chain Reaction Forum. Discuss and ask questions about PCR troubleshooting, PCR protocols and methods, PCR products, and PCR theory.

What is the rate of false positives with an HIV DNA PcR test?

What is the rate of false positives with an HIV DNA PcR test? - PCR - Polymerase Chain Reaction Forum

What is the rate of false positives with an HIV DNA PcR test? - PCR - Polymerase Chain Reaction Forum. Discuss and ask questions about PCR troubleshooting, PCR protocols and methods, PCR products, and PCR theory.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2009, 03:16 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default What is the rate of false positives with an HIV DNA PcR test?

So I had no reason to take an overall STD test since I haven't had sex with anyone other than my ex-girlfriend of 3 years. I did make out with 2 people a few months after we broke p but that was it. I had some anxiety and germophobia one day and decided to go get a test for everything just for my own well being. I drove to the testing clinic knowing full well I was negative. But today I am getting my results and am having horrible anxiety about the DNA PcR test. I heard there are alot of false positives with that test and keep thinking "what-if" it's positive...my life is over. I am only 21 and if that test comes up positive my life will be ruined. I know it should be negative, but what are the chances it produces a false positive?
Old 10-15-2009, 03:16 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

You should have gone to your local health department. They give rapid HIV tests and are 97.9% accurate.

The fact that you are 21 and may be positive does not mean your life is over...it just means you have adjustments to make.

My husband is 33 and cheated on me and the broad gave him HIV.. I am 28, have tested and am negative...that does not mean I am truely negative, I have to test again in three months and every three months after that. My life is hell because of this but oh well.

You should take more precautions and use protection every time or abstain until you are married. Hopefully you will find someone worth of you and not a cheater that will bring home this horrible disease.

Tags
dna , false , hiv , pcr , positives , rate , test , _