Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > PCR - Polymerase Chain Reaction Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PCR - Polymerase Chain Reaction Forum PCR - Polymerase Chain Reaction Forum. Discuss and ask questions about PCR troubleshooting, PCR protocols and methods, PCR products, and PCR theory.

Problem with outer wells using MyIQ

Problem with outer wells using MyIQ - PCR - Polymerase Chain Reaction Forum

Problem with outer wells using MyIQ - PCR - Polymerase Chain Reaction Forum. Discuss and ask questions about PCR troubleshooting, PCR protocols and methods, PCR products, and PCR theory.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2009, 09:05 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 81, Level: 1 Points: 81, Level: 1 Points: 81, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Problem with outer wells using MyIQ

Hello,

I am new to this forum, so hello everybody! I am a postdoc in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. Background is Pharmacochemistry with some Molecular Biology.

The outer wells of 96 well plates used in the BioRad MyIQ Single-Color Real-Time PCR System give higher (=worse) Ct values than the wells in the middle of the plate. In some cases I have found a difference of more than 5 (!) Ct values between the corner wells and the inner wells.

I have tested this by performing RT-PCR, using the same sample in each well and the same primerset in each well, using BioRad Microseal B (MSB-1001).

Using BioRad semi-skirted plates (HSS9641) instead of generic non-skirted plates, or the BioRad Green Sealing Ring (170-8731) and/or BioRad Optical Pad (ADR-3296) seems to partially solve the problem, but there still is a difference of 1 Ct value between the inner and outer wells.

I have used another MyIQ machine as well, which showed a similar pattern.

Evaporation due to poor sealing was the first thing that came to mind, but after running several tests, it seemed that exactly the same wells are involved every time, ruling out a sealing problem.

Now I think that it has to do with the heating of the wells.

I have two questions:

1) Did somebody else experience these problems, and how were they solved?
2) What is an acceptable difference between Ct values of the same sample generated by a RT-PCR machine (leaving out pipetting errors)

Thank you for your answers!
Dennis
Old 07-24-2009, 02:25 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 28, Level: 1 Points: 28, Level: 1 Points: 28, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Wink Re: Problem with outer wells using MyIQ

I observe similar effect after we raise the lid support on the back of machine to make it slide open easier. We call technical support and they say to not raise lid too high or air current can enter. Biorad provide a new sealing gasket and it solve problem completely.

Wei

Tags
myiq , outer , outer wells , problem , rt-pcr , wells