Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > PCR - Polymerase Chain Reaction Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PCR - Polymerase Chain Reaction Forum PCR - Polymerase Chain Reaction Forum. Discuss and ask questions about PCR troubleshooting, PCR protocols and methods, PCR products, and PCR theory.

PCR Amplification of Insert and Restriction Sites Problem

PCR Amplification of Insert and Restriction Sites Problem - PCR - Polymerase Chain Reaction Forum

PCR Amplification of Insert and Restriction Sites Problem - PCR - Polymerase Chain Reaction Forum. Discuss and ask questions about PCR troubleshooting, PCR protocols and methods, PCR products, and PCR theory.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2007, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Question PCR Amplification of Insert and Restriction Sites Problem

Hi, I have a question from an email:

Fortunately i got the cDNA of the gene cht2 that i work on after along time, but now the problem is i want to clone in to pichia pasatoris so i have to insert RE site in my gene.

That site is Cla1 & Xba1 ,but every time i amplify the gene using primers
with these RE sites, i couldn't get the RE site .i change the primers several times and the same result each time.i hop if anybody can suggest something useful to do it?

thanks!
Old 11-20-2007, 03:18 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 937, Level: 17 Points: 937, Level: 17 Points: 937, Level: 17
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Re: PCR Amplification of Insert and Restriction Sites Problem

Hi there!
In general, clavage of PCR products is inefficient due to the inability of some restrictions to cut close to DNA ends;it is therefore best to add several bases to your primer to act as a stuffer. I generally stick 8 to 10 bp Guanine tails but, depending on the enzymes, sometimes even more(this is particularly true for some enzymes like NotI or XhoI). Alternatively you could just subclone your fragment into pGEMTeasy or TOPO or another comertially available vector for easy subcloning and then cut you insert with ClaI and XbaI. Many laboratories do that routinely and never dare to even try to cut PCR products directly for subsequent subloning. You can find how many bases need to add for the stuffer depending on the restriction enzymes you are using at the new england biolabs website. Cheers!!
Old 01-25-2008, 12:06 AM
Administrator

Default Re: PCR Amplification of Insert and Restriction Sites Problem

Thank you that was very helpful knockout maker

I also found a reference on difficulty in digestion of restriction enzymes from the end of a DNA molecule. It helps as you mention to have several nucleotides every at each end (4-5+).

Cheers!

Tags
amplification , insert , pcr , problem , restriction , sites