Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Science Forums > New Member Introductions Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New Member Introductions Forum New Member Welcome & Introductions Forum. Please introduce yourself here as a new member, let us know a bit more about yourself!

Meet Katiejo404

Meet Katiejo404 - New Member Introductions Forum

Meet Katiejo404 - New Member Welcome & Introductions Forum. Please introduce yourself here as a new member, let us know a bit more about yourself!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 09:45 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Meet Katiejo404

Hi everyone,

I am an undergraduate research assistant for the Augustana Campus of the University of Alberta. Although we've been doing research here for many years, it's only really started growing substantially in the past 5-6 years. I am investigating the effects that dietary vitamin A have on the production of Th17 cells in the lamina propria of mice. High levels of IL-17, produced by Th17 cells, has been linked to inflammatory bowel diseases, as well as several other autoimmune and autoinflammatory diseases. Vitamin A has a key regulatory role in the differentiation of Th17 cells, favoring the production of Treg cells instead. Our hope with this research is that we will find that mice fed on a vitamin A-free diet will show a decreased production of IL-17 (as measured by ELISA) than mice fed on regular diets.

Thanks for taking the time to get to know me and my research,
Katie

Tags
katiejo404 , meet