Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Molecular Biology Techniques > Molecular Cloning Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Molecular Cloning Forum DNA cloning forum. Discuss the cloning of plasmids, vectors, DNA, RNA, cDNA, proteins, and other molecules for expression, sub-cloning, and other methods. Also discuss digestion, ligation, transformation, plasmid preparation, cDNA library screening, and competent cells here.

Ligation not working....please HELP !!!!!

Ligation not working....please HELP !!!!! - Molecular Cloning Forum

Ligation not working....please HELP !!!!! - DNA cloning forum. Discuss the cloning of plasmids, vectors, DNA, RNA, cDNA, proteins, and other molecules for expression, sub-cloning, and other methods. Also discuss digestion, ligation, transformation, plasmid preparation, cDNA library screening, and competent cells here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 811, Level: 16 Points: 811, Level: 16 Points: 811, Level: 16
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Ligation not working....please HELP !!!!!

I am out of my wits trying to get a ligation reaction to work. It would be very helpful if you could give some advise. The following are the conditions of the ligation reaction I am trying.

1) PCR amplification of template DNA (~3kb size) and gel purification using QIAquick purification kit.

2) Restriction digestion of pLenti6/V5 TOPO vector (~7kb size) with BamH1 and BstB1 for 1 hr at 37C. Gel purification of vector and hopefuly I did not overexpose the vector DNA to UV light while cutting the band from the gel.

3) Digested amplified template DNA with BAMH1 and BstB1 for 1 hr at 37C. Gel purified digested DNA with, what I think was, very little exposure to UV light.

3) Treated vector DNA with Antarctic phosphatase for 60 mins at 37C and then denatured enzyme at 65C for 8 mins.

4) Ligation reactions:

a) tried to ligate 58 ng vector + 75 ng template at 16C overnight

b) tried to ligate 58 ng vector + 75 ng template at 4C overnight

c) tried to ligate 58 ng vector + 100 ng template at 4C overnight

I did ligation reactions with all the above conditions to just test the ligation reactions on a gel to verify and saw a band at 10 kb and higher for ligation reactions and just vector and template bands in a control reaction without ligase.

I tried to transform stbl3 bacteria with the ligation reactions and I do not see any colonies. My positive control with circular vector plasmid was able to transform the bacteria but none of the ligated plasmids.

I am at my wits end trying to figure out what I am doing wrong.

Any advice will be be helpful at this stage.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:57 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 68, Level: 1 Points: 68, Level: 1 Points: 68, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Re: Ligation not working....please HELP !!!!!

Ah this ones easy! okay so the problem here is your digest BstB1 is most active at 65 C while BamHI is most active at 37 C. What you should do then is do 1 hour at 37 C then another hour at 65 C. This should fix your cloning issues my friend!
The Following User Says Thank You to Kneeanderthal For This Useful Post:
mpaul3 (10-23-2012)

Tags
cloning , ligation , ligation problem , workingplease