Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Molecular Biology Techniques > Molecular Cloning Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Molecular Cloning Forum DNA cloning forum. Discuss the cloning of plasmids, vectors, DNA, RNA, cDNA, proteins, and other molecules for expression, sub-cloning, and other methods. Also discuss digestion, ligation, transformation, plasmid preparation, cDNA library screening, and competent cells here.

cloning not working for months!!!! need suggestions..

cloning not working for months!!!! need suggestions.. - Molecular Cloning Forum

cloning not working for months!!!! need suggestions.. - DNA cloning forum. Discuss the cloning of plasmids, vectors, DNA, RNA, cDNA, proteins, and other molecules for expression, sub-cloning, and other methods. Also discuss digestion, ligation, transformation, plasmid preparation, cDNA library screening, and competent cells here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2011, 11:52 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 62, Level: 1 Points: 62, Level: 1 Points: 62, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Question cloning not working for months!!!! need suggestions..

Hi,

I have been trying to clone a ~900 bp Drosophila gene into pUASTattB vector. It is not so hard, as it seems, but it's just not working.

Here's what I have done:

Insert: PCR product (purified) of the gene with 5' NotI and 3' XbaI sites, incorporated while PCRing (with those sites on the 5' and 3' primers respectively).

Vector: pUASTattB

Double digestion: Insert and vector doubly digested with NotI and XbaI (I know that XbaI is sensitive to dam site overlapping, and I have checked and found that there is no dam site overlapping in the vector.) I have gel purified and checked the products on a gel and found there is sufficient DNA in the purified products. I used0.5- 2 microlitres of each enzyme in a 50 microlitre of total digest volume. I have tried all sorts of incubation periods from 2 to 16 hours at 37C. I have also tried with and without phosphatase treatment of the digested vector.

Ligation: I have set up a ligation of 20-60 microlitre volumes with 3:1 insert:vector ratio and used 0.2-1 microlitre T4 ligase. I have also set up reactions of empty vector with or without ligase for negative controls. Incubations were at 14C overnight.

Electroporation: I have used 2 microlitres of the ligation mixture to electroporate 20 microlitres of DH5alpha electro-competent cells. Sometimes I have done salt-precipitation of ligation product and sometimes without salt-precipitation. But, never did I got colonies on my plates!! My negative control (mock transformed) and positive control (transformed with the uncut pUASTattB vector) worked efficiently. But, no success with my experimental plates.

I have done these steps so many times by altering the protocols, incubation periods etc. I have used enzymes from NEB and a few times used ligase from Fermentas.

Please give me your suggestions.

Thanks,

Ria
Old 07-25-2011, 07:12 PM
Volunteer
Points: 4,455, Level: 45 Points: 4,455, Level: 45 Points: 4,455, Level: 45

Default Re: cloning not working for months!!!! need suggestions..

Possibly a silly question for you but when you say you added the restriction ends to your primers did you also include an 4-6 bp tail on the end of that?
Old 08-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Volunteer
Points: 231, Level: 4 Points: 231, Level: 4 Points: 231, Level: 4

Default Re: cloning not working for months!!!! need suggestions..

Hi, I normally treat my digested vector with calf intestinal alkaline phosphatase then only purify them. Usually the critical part is the ratio between vector and insert, for my case, i have a successful ligation with 6:1 insert:vector ratio. also, once, i discovered that the problem was with the T4 ligase, after changing to new T4 ligase, everything went perfect.
Good luck then

Tags
cloning , months , suggestions , working