Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Molecular Biology Techniques > Molecular Cloning Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Molecular Cloning Forum DNA cloning forum. Discuss the cloning of plasmids, vectors, DNA, RNA, cDNA, proteins, and other molecules for expression, sub-cloning, and other methods. Also discuss digestion, ligation, transformation, plasmid preparation, cDNA library screening, and competent cells here.

Cloning into pCS2+HA - suggestions needed please

Cloning into pCS2+HA - suggestions needed please - Molecular Cloning Forum

Cloning into pCS2+HA - suggestions needed please - DNA cloning forum. Discuss the cloning of plasmids, vectors, DNA, RNA, cDNA, proteins, and other molecules for expression, sub-cloning, and other methods. Also discuss digestion, ligation, transformation, plasmid preparation, cDNA library screening, and competent cells here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 08:16 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Question Cloning into pCS2+HA - suggestions needed please

Hi everyone,

I am new here and hoping someone can give me advice on cloning issues I am having. I am currently generating three clones, which are chimeric genes. Basically, I am using PCR to create fragments of the domains of the gene from two different species and then doing a second PCR to bring the fragments together (each fragment has ends that overlap the adjoining fragment). I am not having any trouble with this and have been able to clone all three of my constructs into pGEM-T without too much difficulty. I am now attempting to subclone these into pCS2+HA (a pCS2+ vector with HA tags added) and have successfully done this for 2 out of 3 of my constructs. However, I am getting very low efficiency, and so far have been unable to get the third construct working. I will outline my protocol (starting from the pGEM-T constructs) below. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

1) Use PCR to generate the gene with restriction sites (XbaI and XhoI). The primers I am using have 6 additional nucleotides prior to the restriction site.
2) Cut fragment with XbaI and XhoI (at least for four hours, if not overnight). At the same time, cut pCS2+HA vector (I have done a control where I cut with each enzyme individually to make sure they are cutting).
3) Phosphatase cut vector. (I have used phosphatased vector that someone else in lab used successfully for pCS2+HA cloning as well - this also did not work).
4) Gel extract vector and fragment.
5) Do ligation - I have varied the insert:vector molar ratios from 10:1 all the way to 1:10. I use 1 microliter of ligase in a 10 microliter reaction.
6) Leave ligation mix at 16 degrees overnight (I have also tried room temp for 2 hours and 4 degrees overnight).
7) Transform into DH5alpha competent cells. Leave overnight.
8) Check colonies using colony PCR (I am getting less than 1/50 efficiency!). I use a primer specific to the insert and one for the vector to avoid picking up background.
9) Check + colonies with restriction digest and, if it looks good, sequencing.

I noticed that the number of neg. control colonies (self-ilgated vector) is not much different than that on the other plates. Also, I plated cells only to make sure the ampicillin in the plates is good -- nothing grew.

The construct I am still trying to get does seem to interfere with plasmid growth as I get very low concentrations upon miniprepping the pGEM-T version (40-50 nanograms/microliter as opposed to 200+ for other constructs).

Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks so much for your time!

Genotype

Tags
cloning , needed , pcs2 , pgem-t , suggestions