Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Molecular Biology Techniques > Molecular Cloning Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Molecular Cloning Forum DNA cloning forum. Discuss the cloning of plasmids, vectors, DNA, RNA, cDNA, proteins, and other molecules for expression, sub-cloning, and other methods. Also discuss digestion, ligation, transformation, plasmid preparation, cDNA library screening, and competent cells here.

Digestion problems

Digestion problems - Molecular Cloning Forum

Digestion problems - DNA cloning forum. Discuss the cloning of plasmids, vectors, DNA, RNA, cDNA, proteins, and other molecules for expression, sub-cloning, and other methods. Also discuss digestion, ligation, transformation, plasmid preparation, cDNA library screening, and competent cells here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 10:45 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 951, Level: 17 Points: 951, Level: 17 Points: 951, Level: 17
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Cool Digestion problems

Hi!

I have to do a double digestions to get my insert into the plasmid. The reaction buffers are incompatible to each other; 50-75% enzymatic activity. So, I'm doing separate digestion with PCR purifying kit after each digestion. But I never get the desired ligation product, only self-ligation, meaning one of the digestion was not done. My ligation reaction mix is correct.

So, is there any other way to do this digestion? Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:15 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Digestion problems

Maybe one of your restriction enzymes is not working well due to salts or its just old/degraded.

Try to switch the digestion to the other enzyme first, and then make sure you check the results on a gel.

Maybe have to go the other way around
Old 02-22-2011, 01:08 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 53, Level: 1 Points: 53, Level: 1 Points: 53, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Re: Digestion problems

Maybe try to check the enzymes alone- so run a three lane gel with undigested, digested with enzyme 1 and digested with enzyme 2 to see if the vector becomes linear. Alkaline phosphatase can be used to prevent vector self-ligation.

If your insert is a PCR product (not changing vector) it might be worth checking the manual on the system that your products are 5'phosphorylated. A few systems require this for religation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Helen Troilo For This Useful Post:
admin (02-22-2011)

Tags
digestion , problems