Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Molecular Biology Techniques > Molecular Cloning Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Molecular Cloning Forum DNA cloning forum. Discuss the cloning of plasmids, vectors, DNA, RNA, cDNA, proteins, and other molecules for expression, sub-cloning, and other methods. Also discuss digestion, ligation, transformation, plasmid preparation, cDNA library screening, and competent cells here.

double transformation in e.coli

double transformation in e.coli - Molecular Cloning Forum

double transformation in e.coli - DNA cloning forum. Discuss the cloning of plasmids, vectors, DNA, RNA, cDNA, proteins, and other molecules for expression, sub-cloning, and other methods. Also discuss digestion, ligation, transformation, plasmid preparation, cDNA library screening, and competent cells here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 07:52 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default double transformation in e.coli

HI all

I have been trying to figure out is it possible for 2 different vectors having the same origin of replication but different antibiotic selection gene (ampR and KanR) and different in copy numbers (one being High copy number and the other having low copy number) replicate in the same host or stay as double transformants?

Plz give some suggestions.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Graduate Student
Points: 2,626, Level: 33 Points: 2,626, Level: 33 Points: 2,626, Level: 33

Default Re: double transformation in e.coli

There are strains of E. coli harbouring the pLysS plasmid that are further transformable. This competent cells are comercial, so you can get your own from many manufacturers.

If you transform this competent cells, you will have a clone that's resistant to Cloramphenicol and another antibiotic.

If you're asking whether or not you can transform with two vectors at the same time, I think it'd be hard, but not impossible. I've not done it myself.

Last edited by SebaQ; 01-11-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:44 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1

Default Oxygen Plants

Oxyplants India deals mainly with Oxygen plants, Nitrogen plants. We are renowned as the Manufacturer of Oxygen Plants, Nitrogen Plants and Acetylene plants.

Oxygen Plants Manufacturers
Nitrogen Plants Manufacturers
Oxygen Plants
Nitrogen Plants

For more details Visit :- oxyplants.net
Old 10-16-2012, 05:15 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1

Yes, double transformations are possible. Use electroporation rather than chemical transformation as chemical does not have high enough efficiency. I commonly use 2ul of a 1:10 dilution of each mini-prepped plasmid with 50ul of electro comp cells. Transform as usual. Recover in 1 ml SOC for 1hr, plate 100-250 ul of the recovery mix with appropriate antibiotics.

However, if memory serves, the plasmids need different origins of replication even if the antibiotics are different. I could be wrong on that though.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:02 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 68, Level: 1 Points: 68, Level: 1 Points: 68, Level: 1

You can still use chemical transformation, just use a higher concentration of your plasmids (5 uL undiluted prep of each plasmid, 25 uL comp cells). Additionally I like recovering in 300 uL and then plating 20 uL, 100 uL and 200 uL.

Tags
double , ecoli , transformation