Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Molecular Biology Techniques > Molecular Cloning Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Molecular Cloning Forum DNA cloning forum. Discuss the cloning of plasmids, vectors, DNA, RNA, cDNA, proteins, and other molecules for expression, sub-cloning, and other methods. Also discuss digestion, ligation, transformation, plasmid preparation, cDNA library screening, and competent cells here.

Studying genes at the Trancription& Translation level

Studying genes at the Trancription& Translation level - Molecular Cloning Forum

Studying genes at the Trancription& Translation level - DNA cloning forum. Discuss the cloning of plasmids, vectors, DNA, RNA, cDNA, proteins, and other molecules for expression, sub-cloning, and other methods. Also discuss digestion, ligation, transformation, plasmid preparation, cDNA library screening, and competent cells here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2010, 04:54 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 689, Level: 13 Points: 689, Level: 13 Points: 689, Level: 13
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Studying genes at the Trancription& Translation level

Hi,

I working on a strain that doesn't require a substrate to express the enzyme whereas other strian among the smae species require to. So, I am lil bit confused on how do I go about the whole thing?
Do I have to get the total RNA, do a real time PCR etc;??
Old 10-28-2010, 06:05 PM
Nobel Laureate
Points: 8,612, Level: 64 Points: 8,612, Level: 64 Points: 8,612, Level: 64
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Post Re: Studying genes at the Trancription& Translation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr_08 View Post
Hi,

I working on a strain that doesn't require a substrate to express the enzyme whereas other strian among the smae species require to. So, I am lil bit confused on how do I go about the whole thing?
Do I have to get the total RNA, do a real time PCR etc;??
If you want to study trancripition and translation levels, that means you want the mRNA and protein levels.

You likely want a quantitative Real-time-RT-PCR (one-step rev-trancription-PCR is pretty nice) and maybe an ELISA or quantitative WB.

Another option for protein-of-interest quantitation, is either immuno-affinity or tag-specific purification, then a simple BCA protein assay of purified protein (with a SDS-gel for purity confirmation, gel quantitation w/ a standard and appropriate software is also possible).

Or if the enzyme activity can be measured, you can measure enzyme activity relative to amount of mRNA per ug sample/#cells (or whatever quantity).

Tags
genes , level , studying , trancriptionand , translation