Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Molecular Biology Techniques
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Molecular Biology Techniques Molecular Biology Forum. Includes forums for common molecular biology techniques.

cloning problem

cloning problem - Molecular Biology Techniques

cloning problem - Molecular Biology Forum. Includes forums for common molecular biology techniques.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 10:35 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 83, Level: 1 Points: 83, Level: 1 Points: 83, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default cloning problem

I have a problem when trying to clone a 1kbp gene into a vector. The vector is about 8kb. I PCRed the gene, which works beautifully. Then I digested both the insert and vector using XhoI and BamHI. The DNA was gel purified. Everything seems OK.
However, after I ran the ligation and used the ligation mixture to transform E. coli cells, I did not get a single colony! I did my ligation using Roche rapid ligation kit. Since I did not get colonies, I went back to repeat the ligation experiment and checked the ligation mixture on a gel. I also did a control experiment with both insert and vector, as well as the ligation buffer, but omit the ligase. On the gel, I found the control mixture contains both the linear vector and insert, as I expected. For the mixture with ligase, I saw a smeared band with high molecular weight (higher than the linear vector) and both the bands corresponding to the linear vector and insert disappeared. Therefore, I concluded that at least the ligase works and both the insert and vector can be ligated into something, though I cannot say they can be ligated into the product I want. However, I still have no colonies, even use ligation mixture that I clearly proved to contain some products with above method. I also set a ligation reaction with only the vector. Normally, two vectors should be ligated together and this should give you some colonies (though these colonies are useless for cloning purpose). However, I still have no colonies. Now I start to suspect the competency of my cells(DH5alpha) and even change competent cells to Agilent XL-2 ultracomp cells and, I also did a positve control using intact vector during the transformation, which leads to lots of colonies. Therefore, the cells seem to be OK.
Right now, I do not have any more ideas on how it should work. Do you have more ideas how to trouble shoot this problem?
Still no colonies……with no results………..
Old 02-25-2013, 04:11 AM
M.D/Ph.D
Points: 4,938, Level: 47 Points: 4,938, Level: 47 Points: 4,938, Level: 47

Default Re: cloning problem

Is the protein you are trying to clone is poisonous to the Ecoli cells? Thus resulting in no growth.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:10 AM
Pipette Filler

No, I check it with empty pLVX vector only......it is still able to transformed and the colonies are good.

There might be some inhibitors present and I am not able to solve it.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:41 PM
Pipette Filler

no there is no such problems.........those protein will not express.......
Old 03-02-2013, 02:41 AM
M.D/Ph.D
Points: 4,938, Level: 47 Points: 4,938, Level: 47 Points: 4,938, Level: 47

[Only registered users see links. ]

Check the link.

Tags
cloning , problem