Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Molecular Biology Techniques
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Molecular Biology Techniques Molecular Biology Forum. Includes forums for common molecular biology techniques.

V. fischeri and quantification of bioluminescence

V. fischeri and quantification of bioluminescence - Molecular Biology Techniques

V. fischeri and quantification of bioluminescence - Molecular Biology Forum. Includes forums for common molecular biology techniques.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2010, 06:29 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default V. fischeri and quantification of bioluminescence

Hello,

I am a first time poster and I am an undergrad so I apologize in advance if I am posting this in a wrong section or if this is a stupid question. I work in a organic lab so the stuff I do is way out of comfort zone for most grad students in my lab.

I am working with V. fischeri and I need a way to quantify its bioluminescence. The lab I am in does not have a luminosity meter and I don't think they would go for ordering microtox kits for 400 different samples. Basically we are trying to inhibit QS in V. fischeri by having our compounds interact with the LuxR protein. Could I use a photometer to do this? Though our lab does not have one I am sure I can find one in the department?

My second question is how to reach cell densities of 10^11/1ml. I was thinking I could grow them over night in 1L of diff marine broth (DMB); centrifuge for 12 mins at 8,000g; wash the cells with DMB; re-suspend in 1ml DMB. Do you think that would give me 10^11/ml?

thanks!!
Old 11-16-2010, 08:36 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1

Default Re: V. fischeri and quantification of bioluminescence

Hi,

I don't have an answer for your question but I do have a quick question of my own. Where do you purchase your v. fischeri samples and how expensive are they?

THanks
Old 11-18-2010, 04:10 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1

Default Re: V. fischeri and quantification of bioluminescence

One of our collaborators works with it so we just got our strains from them. Sorry I could not help.

Tags
bioluminescence , fischeri , quantification