Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Molecular Biology Techniques
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Molecular Biology Techniques Molecular Biology Forum. Includes forums for common molecular biology techniques.

modified pET30b

modified pET30b - Molecular Biology Techniques

modified pET30b - Molecular Biology Forum. Includes forums for common molecular biology techniques.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2009, 03:44 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default modified pET30b

Hi Everyone,

I have a gene of interest that has an important membrane binding domain at it's N-terminus. It was already designed with an 5' NcoI site, so I was just going to use the NcoI site in pET30b however there is a fairly large N-terminal affinity tag in PET30b. What I've done is cut the N-terminal tag coding sequence out with NdeI and KpnI, treated this with Klenow to blunt, and religated to generate what is essentially a pET30b vector lacking the N-terminal tag, and will now have the ATG start of the NcoI site.

This vector was confirmed through dna sequencing.

I was wondering if anyone done this before and it's worked, or if pET30b requires the NdeI site to properly express recombinant proteins. I have been having problems expressing protein in this modified vector. I should mention I haven't tried expression in the original pET30b yet simply because I had this modified vector on hand.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:17 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 825, Level: 16 Points: 825, Level: 16 Points: 825, Level: 16

Default Re: modified pET30b

Hi John

You strategy for removing NdeI - KpnI fragment seems sound, as long as you have your T7 promoter the expression should work fine

At the same time, there are just so many proteins that don't express well in E. coli. And so many factors that people adjust to change expression levels - time of induction, IPTG amount, growth temperature, E. coli strains...

Also, you mentioned that you have a protein with a membrane domain - that should be a tough one

So, assume that your construct is OK and look into other factors

Andriy
Old 08-07-2009, 03:17 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 825, Level: 16 Points: 825, Level: 16 Points: 825, Level: 16

Default Re: modified pET30b

Hi John

You strategy for removing NdeI - KpnI fragment seems sound, as long as you have your T7 promoter the expression should work fine

At the same time, there are just so many proteins that don't express well in E. coli. And so many factors that people adjust to change expression levels - time of induction, IPTG amount, growth temperature, E. coli strains...

Also, you mentioned that you have a protein with a membrane domain - that should be a tough one

So, assume that your construct is OK and look into other factors

Andriy

Tags
modified , pet30b