Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Molecular Biology Techniques
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Molecular Biology Techniques Molecular Biology Forum. Includes forums for common molecular biology techniques.

PFGE troubleshooting

PFGE troubleshooting - Molecular Biology Techniques

PFGE troubleshooting - Molecular Biology Forum. Includes forums for common molecular biology techniques.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2008, 06:22 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 650, Level: 12 Points: 650, Level: 12 Points: 650, Level: 12
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default PFGE troubleshooting

I'm having major problems with our PFGE. We've had Bio-Rad's CHEF DRIII setup for almost 10 years now. Our main project is to compare E. coli from a host animal species and compare it to a water sample to determine if there is any human dna found in the water body.
We were funded for 8 years by various entities, and the funding dried up. After 2 years we were contacted to run some samples. For the past year, I have not gotten any decent results. I've made up the reagents in our protocol 4 or 5 times, and even tried using Bio-Rad 'store bought' chemicals, and nothing seems to work. Here is what we know: we don't think it's the equipment. Lambda ladder control plugs are coming out fine. We don't think it's in the restriction enzyme step. We had an old Bio Rad JM107 E. coli plug (they no longer make it) and used our restriction enzyme onit, and it came out fine. There are times when it just looks like the lane is smeared. Mostly it looks like we get decent bands towards the top of the gel, but the bands then get progressively worse as we go down the gel.
Any one have any ideas?
Thanks,
Scott
The Following User Says Thank You to swagemann For This Useful Post:
ksfarzana (04-27-2012)
Old 06-14-2008, 09:54 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 535, Level: 10 Points: 535, Level: 10 Points: 535, Level: 10

Default Re: PFGE troubleshooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagemann View Post
I'm having major problems with our PFGE. We've had Bio-Rad's CHEF DRIII setup for almost 10 years now. Our main project is to compare E. coli from a host animal species and compare it to a water sample to determine if there is any human dna found in the water body.
We were funded for 8 years by various entities, and the funding dried up. After 2 years we were contacted to run some samples. For the past year, I have not gotten any decent results. I've made up the reagents in our protocol 4 or 5 times, and even tried using Bio-Rad 'store bought' chemicals, and nothing seems to work. Here is what we know: we don't think it's the equipment. Lambda ladder control plugs are coming out fine. We don't think it's in the restriction enzyme step. We had an old Bio Rad JM107 E. coli plug (they no longer make it) and used our restriction enzyme onit, and it came out fine. There are times when it just looks like the lane is smeared. Mostly it looks like we get decent bands towards the top of the gel, but the bands then get progressively worse as we go down the gel.
Any one have any ideas?
Thanks,
Scott
OK. I cannot say that I am an expert but currently I am dealing with standardization of PFGE protocols for typing various nosocomial pathogens. We use Gene Navigator System (Amersham, now GE).So far I've made two gels (about 30 strains)- the first was fine (except that the time was too much) ...the second not so well, but acceptable. Maybe this is the newbie luck but here are some things I can say for sure. The cell concentration is extremely important.....0,8 to 1 OD measured at 600-610nm seems to work best. Do you have lysozyme step prior to prot K? How many times, at what temp and with what buffer do you wash samples after lysis. I wash 3 times with 2ml/2 blocks per tube TE at 4C, 1/2h each and then 100mcL restriction buffer for 1/2h at 4C; change restric. buf. and then do the restriction in 100mcl fresh buffer.
Do you add thiourea in the TBE? Check the literature- it helps alot...
As you see there are alot of factors contributing to failure ....that's why I truly hate this technique...besides there are so many other more discriminative and far more cheap methods. But all is a matter of economical interests....

Good luck
Old 10-05-2008, 04:43 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 215, Level: 4 Points: 215, Level: 4 Points: 215, Level: 4

hello,
I work in pfge of yeast : candida with CHEFDRIII but i have a problem because i obtain a not claer profiles. I suggest that a problem of concentration cells.
can help me what it 's the suitable concentration for this pfge
I don't find a protocol with details
Old 04-27-2012, 09:40 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1

i have found smear and extremely bad image of e. coli PFGE from environmental water sample. I followed CDC PFGE protocol for E. coli PFGE. My cell suspension OD was 0.60 as directed. But still the band was not sharp, it was like shadow in one PFGE with smears. How can i improve my PFGE result.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:28 PM
UnSubscribed Vendor Advertiser
Points: 69, Level: 1 Points: 69, Level: 1 Points: 69, Level: 1

As mentioned in one of the previous posts, many factors may contribute to a bad PFGE result. Have you checked all your reagents for expiry date, precipitation, discoloration, cloudiness,... Are you using ultrapure water to dissolve everything? Are you sure all your glassware is very clean? Are you sure your plugs were not over- or underheated (should be between 54-56 C and make sure you are using a good thermometer).
Did you pick up several colonies and if so, were the results the same for all colonies?

Alternatively: use a different technique to type your E.coli

Tags
pfge , troubleshooting