Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Animal and Molecular Model Systems > Microbiology Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Microbiology Forum Discuss Microbiology Science and Protocols here. Post questions on the study of viruses, fungi, parasites and bacteria here. Microbiology Forum.

Unknown Bacteria Cell Population Question

Unknown Bacteria Cell Population Question - Microbiology Forum

Unknown Bacteria Cell Population Question - Discuss Microbiology Science and Protocols here. Post questions on the study of viruses, fungi, parasites and bacteria here. Microbiology Forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 03:12 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Question Unknown Bacteria Cell Population Question

Hell All!

I have sort of a "dumb" question...or, at least it is starting to feel that way.
It's been quite some time since I have performed bacterial cell counts and I am currently researching an unknown bacteria (a type of Pseudomonas I have yet to determine). I have performed the initial isolation of the species and am now working on growth kinetics so that I may work with it.
I have performed spectrophotometric analysis in order to determine a growth curve for the species. Now I need to figure out an estimate of bacterial cells per mL at varying points of the growth curve. I was told by a colleague that I could take a sample from a point of my growth curve, run a serial dilution, and count via hemocytometer in order to come up with a good estimate of cells at that point. This sounds correct, but does not help me determine cell counts at each point OD was measured...I can't see a clear way to determine this. I don't believe that I need to perform a plate dilution in order to come up with this number.
Does anyone have any input? What would be the best way to determine my cell count without having to laboriously perform a hemocytometer/dilution at each point I pull a sample to run in the spectrophotometer?

Thank you in advance!
Old 03-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Ph.D Doctorate
Points: 3,253, Level: 37 Points: 3,253, Level: 37 Points: 3,253, Level: 37
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Re: Unknown Bacteria Cell Population Question

Thie procedure you mentioned will give you cell counts but is difficult. Why not perform viable counts in parallel with OD measurements?

Tags
bacteria , cell , cell count , dilution , hemocytometer , microbiology , population , question , unknown