Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Animal and Molecular Model Systems > Microbiology Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Microbiology Forum Discuss Microbiology Science and Protocols here. Post questions on the study of viruses, fungi, parasites and bacteria here. Microbiology Forum.

Bacteria now "growing" properly

Bacteria now "growing" properly - Microbiology Forum

Bacteria now "growing" properly - Discuss Microbiology Science and Protocols here. Post questions on the study of viruses, fungi, parasites and bacteria here. Microbiology Forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 03:27 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Bacteria now "growing" properly

Hello there. I'am so unbelievably frustrated right now, I'm a new graduate student and have been having problems, even with very simple things. For example I'm doing a microarray and to grow up the bacteria to inoculate into the plates where we harvest the cells from I use BM2 broth. While I inoculate into this broth I need the cells to grow to mid log phase which is about .4-.6 OD600, and it usually takes around 6.5 hours. However lately my cells have been tkaing way more than 6.5 hours to reach mid log, I have no idea what is going on. I tried making up all the ingredients for the media, checking the pH, and nothing. I start with cells in the -80, and I've taken them out quite a bit, on ice however, could this be the problem? Either way I have no clue what is going on, it seems like I've gotten nowhere, and just wasting reagents. I understand that in the lab you are dealing with problems all the time, but this is so simple I can't help but to feel stupid.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:42 AM
Ph.D Doctorate
Points: 3,253, Level: 37 Points: 3,253, Level: 37 Points: 3,253, Level: 37
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Re: Bacteria now "growing" properly

Can you go back to your original stock culture?

Relax - you'll figure it out.

Tags
bacteria , growing , properly