Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Animal and Molecular Model Systems > Microbiology Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Microbiology Forum Discuss Microbiology Science and Protocols here. Post questions on the study of viruses, fungi, parasites and bacteria here. Microbiology Forum.

Nitrate Reduction

Nitrate Reduction - Microbiology Forum

Nitrate Reduction - Discuss Microbiology Science and Protocols here. Post questions on the study of viruses, fungi, parasites and bacteria here. Microbiology Forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Nitrate Reduction

Hello, I'm new to this forum, plus I have a question to ask: Nitrate test
How long does the red color have to stay after adding reagents A and B to be called a positive test.

==
Here is what I did in lab:

After incubation, I did the Nitrate test by adding the 2 reagents indicated in my lab manual.
The tube turned red (which should mean (+) for nitrate reduction)
However, the color quickly reverted back to the normal broth color before the addition of reagents A and B.
Every time I tried adding more reagents, the same thing happened: the red color never remained for long;it did turn red, however.

I gave up on the reagents and tried adding some powdered Zinc.
The result was colorless (this should also mean (+) for nitrate reduction)

So, based on my description, would you please tell me if this is a positive test for Nitrate reduction?

Tags
nitrate , reduction