Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Animal and Molecular Model Systems > Microbiology Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Microbiology Forum Discuss Microbiology Science and Protocols here. Post questions on the study of viruses, fungi, parasites and bacteria here. Microbiology Forum.

Future Considerations from an Undergrad

Future Considerations from an Undergrad - Microbiology Forum

Future Considerations from an Undergrad - Discuss Microbiology Science and Protocols here. Post questions on the study of viruses, fungi, parasites and bacteria here. Microbiology Forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 12:38 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Future Considerations from an Undergrad

Hello all, this is my first time posting in the Microbiology forum, I have read several of your articles and they seemed very informative. I am at a cross roads, and feel I have not done enough to advance myself in the field of microbiology.

I am in my second to last semester and will be attaining my B.S. in Microbiology in May of 2012. My GPA at that time will be around a 2.9, and I have no lab experience whatsoever. Any attempts I have made to try and get into a lab have been thwarted by the fact that I work 34 hours a week, or that the professor does not want to take the time to train a student that will be graduating so soon anyhow.

I volunteer a couple of hours a week at a center for HIV/AIDS patients, and was wondering with my lack of experience and lack luster GPA what are the possibilities that I can pursue once I graduate. I know that some Medical Diagnostic labs will hire someone with a degree in Microbiology as a Medical Lab Technician, but was wondering if there are any other avenues I could explore and could potentially be successful at. Any recommendations, or any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:42 AM
Ph.D Doctorate
Points: 3,253, Level: 37 Points: 3,253, Level: 37 Points: 3,253, Level: 37

Default Re: Future Considerations from an Undergrad

What university? I find it hard to believe that you would be granted a BS without successfully completing lab coursework (is that what you meant?). With no practical expertise, you are effectively unemployable as a microbiologist.
I know of one department that offers a 1 hour course in careers in microbiology to educate graduates in opportunities other than grad and med school.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:49 AM
Ph.D Doctorate
Points: 3,253, Level: 37 Points: 3,253, Level: 37 Points: 3,253, Level: 37

Default Re: Future Considerations from an Undergrad

btw - Medical Technology involvess specific training and certification (ASCP) so that opportuntity may not be available to you at this point in your career.

Tags
considerations , future , undergrad