Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Animal and Molecular Model Systems > Microbiology Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Microbiology Forum Discuss Microbiology Science and Protocols here. Post questions on the study of viruses, fungi, parasites and bacteria here. Microbiology Forum.

Where to do graduate studies?

Where to do graduate studies? - Microbiology Forum

Where to do graduate studies? - Discuss Microbiology Science and Protocols here. Post questions on the study of viruses, fungi, parasites and bacteria here. Microbiology Forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010, 02:46 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 62, Level: 1 Points: 62, Level: 1 Points: 62, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Where to do graduate studies?

Hello there, I'm completely new to this forum, I joined because I need some help about graduate studies.

I'm in my 4th year of completing a 4 year micro honors degree at the University of Manitoba, and I'm looking for places to do my graduate studies seeing as how the graduate program at the UofM isn't too strong. I have a good GPA, 4.10 and am applying for scholarships. I also have some prof's to talk to but they told me to do some digging around for some potential universities.

First off, I have no idea where to start. I dont know which schools have good micro/science/research programs. I'm interested in either virology or studying antibiotic resistance. One helpful prof told me to narrow it down to 10 schools I would like to go to and find some prof's there whose research I find interesting. He said the best schools for grad studies in micro would be: Harvard, Oxford, Scripps
followed by tier 2 universities like: Mcgill, UBC, U of Toronto etc.

Bottom line is I need just a starting point on which schools are good in Canada and U.S and about the whole application procedure.

Thanks.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:58 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 271, Level: 5 Points: 271, Level: 5 Points: 271, Level: 5

Default Re: Where to do graduate studies?

I was overwhelmed by researching grad schools as well. I'm doing bioinformatics, which creates different problems in the search for a good school than your situation. I would recommend looking through recently published papers that interest you and see what schools are putting them out. Or look through archives of conferences in your interest area and see what students/professors are presenting. Just because a school is well known, doesn't mean that its micro program is going to be the best for you. The more popular the research group/professor is, the more activities/commitments the probably have which means less mentorship for you. Good luck!
Old 09-20-2010, 01:54 PM
Post-Doc
Points: 2,383, Level: 31 Points: 2,383, Level: 31 Points: 2,383, Level: 31

More important than the institution is the person whose lab you end up in. A great researcher is a great researcher - whether they're in Harvard or the middle-of-nowhere.

As sms411 stated, look for recent publications that seem good, and are of interest to you, and look into those labs. The person running the lab will appear *last* in the papers list of authors, and they will usually be listed as the contact person for the paper. Find someone doing something you find interesting, and contact them to see if they have student positions available. I'd also strongly urge that you contact students in that lab about the lab environment - there are some very good researchers out there who are absolute a-holes that will treat you little better than a slave. I.E. Make sure the project isn't the only good thing going at that lab.

There is a user here, DanFive (I think is how his ID is spelled) whose got a strong background in micro. He may be better able to direct you towards researchers/institutes in the micro/virology area.

Bryan

PS: The University of Alberta has some good virologists - I collaborated with their Chris Power for a few years on an HIV project (he does a lot on HIV neuropathy), and they have some good influenza guys/gals there as well. I'm not sure about the bacterial side of their project. London (as in Ontario, not UK - i.e. UWO) has a micro department that produced a few of my colleges. They seem to have done a good job at that level; but I am unsure of their reputation vis-a-vis research in general.

PPS: I'm surprised you think Manitoba is a bad place for your grad work. With the Canadian Science Centre for Human and Animal Health, there are a lot of good bacteriologists and virologists there.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:46 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1

The University of British Columbia has a fantastic Microbiology & Immunology program within the Life Sciences Institute at UBC.

Check out grad.lsi.ubc.ca

Dr. Francois Jean is the director of FINDER and the founder of the Rising Stars of Research conference.

Good Luck.

Tags
graduate , studies