Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Animal and Molecular Model Systems > Microbiology Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Microbiology Forum Discuss Microbiology Science and Protocols here. Post questions on the study of viruses, fungi, parasites and bacteria here. Microbiology Forum.

Bacteria can control their Temperature

Bacteria can control their Temperature - Microbiology Forum

Bacteria can control their Temperature - Discuss Microbiology Science and Protocols here. Post questions on the study of viruses, fungi, parasites and bacteria here. Microbiology Forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2007, 03:29 PM
tarun gupta

Default Bacteria can control their Temperature

Hello,

Few days back, Nature reported a very interesting paper which I thought would be of interest to wide scientific community. Here it goes- Bacteria can control their Temperature! Shocked ? Read on...

Mostorganisms, from bacteria to humans, can follow temperature gradients to anoptimal temperature. Experience influences eukaryotes' preferred temperature, and, as it turns out, bacteria also adjust their temperature preferencedepending on growth conditions.

A study from Salman and Libchaber finally provides a physiological reason for this altered behaviour — it may help bacteria to conserve energy until better nutrient supplies become available. When Salman and Libchaber tested the thermotactic responses in E. coli at different growth stages, they observed a surprisingly sharp switch from a thermophilic to a cryophilic response as soon as the cell density crossed a critical threshold.

(Source: Victor Sourjik and Ned S. Wingreen. Turning to the cold. nature cell biology, volume 9, number9, Sept 2007)

In case you don't find the article, you can send me a request for acopy. I have it with me.

You can find the original entry at Scientific information Sharing Resource ([Only registered users see links. ]) [Only registered users see links. ]

Kind Regards,
Tarun Gupta

--
MSc Human Genomics
National Center of Human Genome Studies & Research
Panjab University
Chandigarh-India
Mob: +91-9888237906

I encourage you to post your comments in Exciting Science forum ([Only registered users see links. ] ). Kindlyfeel free to share exciting science updates or put your scientific queriesin the forum. It paves the way for scientific networking and provides you inputs from various perspectives.

~Exciting Science forum [Only registered users see links. ]
~Bioinformatics Resources: [Only registered users see links. ]
~Scientific Information Sharing Resource: [Only registered users see links. ]
~About Me: [Only registered users see links. ]

MSc Human Genomics
National Centre of Human Genome Studies and Research
Panjab University
Chandigarh-India
Mob: +91-9888237906

~Exciting Science forum: [Only registered users see links. ]
~Bioinformatics Resources: [Only registered users see links. ]
~Scientific Information Sharing Resource: [Only registered users see links. ]