Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Forum > Science Careers > Medical School
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Medical School Post and Discuss Medical School. Applications to med, and anything about the curriculum and becoming an M.D (medical doctor).

Racial Discrimination at University of Toronto Medical School

Racial Discrimination at University of Toronto Medical School - Medical School

Racial Discrimination at University of Toronto Medical School - Post and Discuss Medical School. Applications to med, and anything about the curriculum and becoming an M.D (medical doctor).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2007, 06:16 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 1,409, Level: 22 Points: 1,409, Level: 22 Points: 1,409, Level: 22
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Thumbs down Racial Discrimination at University of Toronto Medical School

Dear all,

it is a fact that a great majority of the medical class at the University of Toronto has been (and is currently) children of the alumni and many of their are also of Jewish descent.

Interestingly, there are a wide variety of ethnicities applying to the medical school such as Black, Hispanic, Indian, European, Asian etc., although their representation in the class recently has been a problem. The problem is not that they do not have a strong academic record, quite the contrary as many high achievers and even Ph.D's regularly get rejected - for dubious reasons. Even more alarming, many students with alumni as parents many of Jewish descent seem to be getting in at a higher rate. Of note have been several students that have been entering with fairly low grades, some non-Jews some Jews that have alumni (doctors) in the family.

Even more alarming is the rise in the rates of tuition, making it impossible for students coming from disadvantaged parents to be able to attend medical school.

Sadly, I know personally of many cases where stellar students (non-alumni and non-Jews) were basically cheated out of a good residency spot in favour of less deserving students. When students are dedicated 4 years to getting a good residency spot, with their whole hearts (meaning getting exceptional marks, producing top research papers in the field, etc.) yet they do not get in, it really is disheartening to others.
Might as well have a rich doctor father, go traveling knowing that you can easily get what you want with daddy's connections, while others sweat for years, with huge financial debts only to not reach their dreams.

This funnel of weeding out the non-rich and advantaging children of alumni, and noticably Jews is making me and many other SICK.

If you think I am anti-semetic, I am a Jew in fact. So don't bore me with that silly excuse again. I am apalled at the biasness of the process in Ontario, UofT, both pre-medicine and during residency applications.

There must be a FAIR system in place to allow the equal competitiveness of all ethnicities and socialeconomic backgrounds.

I encourage you to speak with others and the faculty regarding their poor representation of disadvantaged groups. Also ask why the representation of alumni children and Jews is so high...
Thank you for your time.

Last edited by UofTSucks; 03-15-2007 at 06:18 AM.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:12 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 1,237, Level: 20 Points: 1,237, Level: 20 Points: 1,237, Level: 20

Default Re: Racial Discrimination at University of Toronto Medical School

I can relate.
I made the mistake of asking a Jewish guy to write me a letter of recommendation, but I didn't know that his friend's son applying for the same position. After promising a stellar letter, he stabbed me in the back with a dismal letter. I know a number of students who have been screwed this way.

I can guarantee that if there is a choice between a non-jewish high-achiever and a mediocre jewish student, the latter would win out.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:33 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 879, Level: 16 Points: 879, Level: 16 Points: 879, Level: 16

Angry Re: Racial Discrimination at University of Toronto Medical School

Hi there,
this happens also in Italy but seems to me that is not a "racial discrimination" but a political discrimination. We have a strong physician class that reject good students for their political choice...
As you can see the result is the same...
Cheers

Tags
discrimination , medical , racial , school , toronto , university