Originally Posted by juicyFruit
So I have the two spectra for these molecules. They are fairly the same except for the peak of m/z 121, which is a m-15 peak...meaning it loses a methyl group...or at least that is my assumption. What I don't understand is why it is a strong peak for 2-carene and a weak peak for 3-carene. Any advice would be appreciated!
1. check lot no's - synthetic routes may differ
2. check reagent stability of 2 -vs- 3-carene
3. assume the m=15 is something other than CH3
4. assume the position of the double-bond is significant
5. perform an accurate net-sum comparison of peaks
6. perform instrument maintenance and test for bias