Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Products and Vendor Discussion > Molecular Biology Products and Vendors > Lab Equipment Discussion and Reviews
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Lab Equipment Discussion and Reviews Discuss, ask questions, and post reviews on Lab Equipment. PCR machines, electrophoresis, centrifuges etc.

High performance Floor Centrifuge suggestions

High performance Floor Centrifuge suggestions - Lab Equipment Discussion and Reviews

High performance Floor Centrifuge suggestions - Discuss, ask questions, and post reviews on Lab Equipment. PCR machines, electrophoresis, centrifuges etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default High performance Floor Centrifuge suggestions

I am looking to purchase a high speed, high capacity centrifuge with refrigeration for recombinant protein E.Coli work. I would prefer the ability to do 6L at once (6x1L) at >15,000xg and 50 mL tubes at > 20,000xg. So this basically comes down to two centrifuges, I think:

Beckman Avanti J-26 XPI
Thermo Sorvall Evolution RC

I was going to go with the Avanti J26 XPI, since I have used one previously and liked it. Also, almost everyone I know has Beckman centrifuges (and have had them for decades). However, the Thermo people stopped by and made me think about a few things. These were their major points:

#1 Thermo's new carbon fiber rotors are superior and have a full 15 yr warranty. They brought up the fact that the Beckman JLA-8.1000 rotor has a finite lifetime because of how it is constructed, scary for a $16,900 rotor since its warranty is a prorated 7yr one.

#2 Thermo has a buy 2 get one free promotion on the rotors right now

#3 The Sorval RC series runs at atmosphere which has several advantages over the vacuum system that Beckman uses on their Avanti series to achieve high speeds.

I am still waiting for a quote from Thermo, but I am guessing that it will be ballpark with Beckman (~35K with 2 rotors). I have not talked to the Beckman rep again to see her counter arguments.

So I would like to see if anyone has any good suggestions or recommendations for the best high speed/performance centrifuge for me (that will hopefully last forever).
Old 12-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 866, Level: 16 Points: 866, Level: 16 Points: 866, Level: 16
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Re: High performance Floor Centrifuge suggestions

Hello,

We currently have a 2007 Thermo Sorvall RC Evolution. We're looking to find a good home for this instrument. Please let me know if you still have a need, my information is listed below. The instrument is complete with rotor as well.

Best regards,

Joe LaFrange
781-641-0300 ext. 202
[Only registered users see links. ]

Tags
capacity , centifuge , centrifuge , floor , high , performance , speed , suggestions