Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum

Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum (http://www.molecularstation.com/forum/)
-   Knockout Mouse Forum (http://www.molecularstation.com/forum/knockout-mouse-forum/)
-   -   Knock-In, Knock-Out, Knock-Down, Transgenic Mice? (http://www.molecularstation.com/forum/knockout-mouse-forum/82798-knock-knock-out-knock-down-transgenic-mice.html)

haziiie 05-21-2011 03:02 AM

Knock-In, Knock-Out, Knock-Down, Transgenic Mice?

What are the main points to know (in the simplest/most concise way possible) about the differences between these four types of genetic manipulation--knock in, knock out, knock down, and transgenic?

I'm really having a hard time wrapping my head around these concepts...

Kaiba 05-21-2011 03:03 AM

Knock Out mice have specific genes that are made to be null. Its like Knocking out the gene totally of the mouse's genome.

Knock-in mice are mice that have a specific gene inserted into their genome.

Transgenic mice are mice that have genes from other organisms inserted into their genome, hence the name TRANSgeneic

I have not heard of knock down mice

Knock Out mice have specific genes that are made to be null. Its like Knocking out the gene totally of the mouse's genome.

Transgenic mice are mice that have genes from other organisms inserted into their genome, hence the name TRANSgeneic

Dhamsie 05-21-2011 03:03 AM

all that kaiba's posted...plus 'knock down' mice are those where the 'gene expression is brought down by using RNAi technology' (small intefering RNA- check out wikipedia for more info)...the idea being that the gene is transcribed into mRNA but the protein is not expressed cause the mRNA is destroyed. So one sees a little protein but much less in comparison to a normal mouse.

So let me summarize-
Knock out = taking out the gene
Knock in = puttin in a mouse gene
Transgenic= puttin in a gene or part of a gene from another organism
Knock down= bringing down gene expression by targeting mRNA transcripts

thirupugal 07-01-2011 02:17 PM

Re: Knock-In, Knock-Out, Knock-Down, Transgenic Mice?

Knockout : Remove complete or part of the gene from the genome
Knockin : inserting external elements in to the genome like GFP/RFP or LacZ
Transgenic : over expressing particular gene in in vivo, similar way like overexpressing proteins in mammalian cells