Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Cell Biology and Cell Culture > Immunology and Host-Pathogen Interactions
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fc receptor species specificity?

Fc receptor species specificity? - Immunology and Host-Pathogen Interactions

Fc receptor species specificity? -

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2007, 10:18 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 1,212, Level: 20 Points: 1,212, Level: 20 Points: 1,212, Level: 20
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Fc receptor species specificity?

This is probably a really basic question: I'm setting up a flow cytometry experiment detecting a receptor-bound ligand on mouse macrophages with a fluorochrome-labeled antibody. Should I get an antibody produced in mouse or in another background? Someone in our lab said that if we get a mouse antibody, the Fc portion of the antibody will be recognized by the Fc receptors on our cells, since both are mouse-specific; hence we'll get non-specific binding and high background noise. This assumes that the Fc portion on an antibody made in goat is different than that of mouse and hence will not be recognized by mouse Fc receptors. But then someone else said that if we get a goat or rabbit antibody, they won't be recognized at all and we won't get any signal; I tend to agree with the former argument, since our antibody is binding to a ligand (that was made in human) and is not supposed to bind to anything murine; but I'm really new to flow cytometry and immunological assays in general, so I'm not 100% sure. Help???
Old 09-11-2008, 07:14 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 295, Level: 5 Points: 295, Level: 5 Points: 295, Level: 5

Default Re: Fc receptor species specificity?

I think you should get antibody from a different species. Since the Fc receptor is the effector function of an Ig which is also the constant region determinant and it differs among species. So the mouse will recognise the goat Ab as foreign and this will eliccit an immune response; and anti-Ig will be produced.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 295, Level: 5 Points: 295, Level: 5 Points: 295, Level: 5

Yes, Fc receptor is species specific.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:40 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 234, Level: 4 Points: 234, Level: 4 Points: 234, Level: 4

you should go for anti species antibody.Since you are setting up the experimental design on murine species ,using caprine antibodies will ellicit immune response resulting into production of antibodies.Also note that FC portion of Ig is species specific.

Last edited by Dr saksham chopra; 10-31-2008 at 05:47 AM.

Tags
receptor , species , specificity