Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Histology Forum > Immunohistochemistry Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Immunohistochemistry Forum Immunohistochemistry Forum. Post and discuss questions on immunohistochemistry methods including paraffin, frozen, or free floating tissue sections.

non specific binding of FITC to erythrocytes

non specific binding of FITC to erythrocytes - Immunohistochemistry Forum

non specific binding of FITC to erythrocytes - Immunohistochemistry Forum. Post and discuss questions on immunohistochemistry methods including paraffin, frozen, or free floating tissue sections.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 91, Level: 1 Points: 91, Level: 1 Points: 91, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Smile non specific binding of FITC to erythrocytes

Hi,

Im working with FISH on paraformaldehyde-fixed cells. The cells are labelled with a DIG-labeled RNA probe, subsequently labeled with an anti-DIG-HRP and then finally detected with FITC that reacts with the HRP. I get high unspecific binding to my erythrocytes without using the probe i.e on control slides where Ive added only the FITC. I know that FITC is negatively charged and will bind positively charged molecules, but does anyone know how I can efficiently block/treat my slides in order to get rid of the unspecific binding ?

Regards,

Elena
Old 06-15-2009, 02:00 AM
Graduate Student
Points: 2,354, Level: 31 Points: 2,354, Level: 31 Points: 2,354, Level: 31
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Re: non specific binding of FITC to erythrocytes

I am experiencing unspecific binding of my FITC to my streptavidin-coated microspheres too. Basically, I have streptavidin-coated microspheres to which biotinylated DNA and biotinylated anti-HA antibodies bind to. The biotinylated DNA actually has a sequence of HA at the 3' end, so after in vitro translation, peptides with HA tags are produced and they bind to the anti-HA antibodies on the beads. I detect these proteins using a peptide that is conjugated to FITC. During my analysis with flow cytometry, I realized that I get varying signals.

And in my negative control, there is supposed to be no DNA at all so no proteins are produced and no peptide-FITC should bind. But I get fluorescence signals in the negative controls and this indicates unspecific binding.

Been stumped at finding a way to get rid of the unspecific binding, though the only thing for now I can think of is to perform more stringent washings in between each step.

Tags
binding , erythrocytes , fitc , specific