Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Histology Forum > Immunohistochemistry Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Immunohistochemistry Forum Immunohistochemistry Forum. Post and discuss questions on immunohistochemistry methods including paraffin, frozen, or free floating tissue sections.

Reusing Primary Antibody in Immunohistochemistry

Reusing Primary Antibody in Immunohistochemistry - Immunohistochemistry Forum

Reusing Primary Antibody in Immunohistochemistry - Immunohistochemistry Forum. Post and discuss questions on immunohistochemistry methods including paraffin, frozen, or free floating tissue sections.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2008, 10:50 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 2,218, Level: 30 Points: 2,218, Level: 30 Points: 2,218, Level: 30
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Reusing Primary Antibody in Immunohistochemistry

Hello, can we also reuse primary antibodies in immunohistochemistry IHC? I know that we can reuse primaries after westerns, but i would like to reuse the IHC antibodies to save money. Does anyone have experience in this?
thanks
Old 04-23-2009, 10:28 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 48, Level: 1 Points: 48, Level: 1 Points: 48, Level: 1

Default Re: Reusing Primary Antibody in Immunohistochemistry

Normally we draw from the concentrated antibody vial only what we need for the procedure at hand. We prepare the working dilution from this draw, thus leaving the concentrated antibody in the original vial for further use. We do not re-use the dliuted antibody that has incubated with the test tissue.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:36 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 44, Level: 1 Points: 44, Level: 1 Points: 44, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by orestis View Post
Hello, can we also reuse primary antibodies in immunohistochemistry IHC? I know that we can reuse primaries after westerns, but i would like to reuse the IHC antibodies to save money. Does anyone have experience in this?
thanks
Hi radam. Maybe you already solved the problem. We prepare dilutions for about 20-30 samples, with antibodies we use everyday, and they work for at least 1 month if you keep it in the fridge, and avoiding high temperatures, sunlight and a long time exposure to air oxidation. We also alicuotate dilutions for some special antibodies and keep them at -20 degrees.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:06 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 29, Level: 1 Points: 29, Level: 1 Points: 29, Level: 1

yes i agree with radam and hunydd because after incubating the tissue sections with primary antibody, the concentration of antibody left in the solution will be different, i.e lower, and it may or may not give you consistent staining quality!
Old 03-12-2013, 09:33 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 80, Level: 1 Points: 80, Level: 1 Points: 80, Level: 1

Airie is correct, with each reuse, the antibody concentration decreases due losses by binding of antibodies to target antigens. If you still get good results with a reuse, that means that your original primary ab dilution was very concentrated. With primary antibodies there are no ways to stretch the buck here with sacrificing quality.

Tags
antibody , immunohistochemistry , primary , reusing