Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Histology Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Histology Forum Histology Forum. Talk, discuss and post questions on general histology methods including tissue processing, embedding tissues, sectioning, special staining, enzyme staining and silver staining of samples.

Cryosectioning for mass spec analysis..HELP

Cryosectioning for mass spec analysis..HELP - Histology Forum

Cryosectioning for mass spec analysis..HELP - Histology Forum. Talk, discuss and post questions on general histology methods including tissue processing, embedding tissues, sectioning, special staining, enzyme staining and silver staining of samples.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 57, Level: 1 Points: 57, Level: 1 Points: 57, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Cryosectioning for mass spec analysis..HELP

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience in sectioning tissues for mass spec analysis? I have several different types of mouse tissues I need to section for mass spec analysis: brain, spleen, liver, intestines, heart, and kidneys. I have come across some interesting challenges. The first challenge, for mass spec analysis I need to section larger tissue sections >50 microns. I have tried TissueTek OCT compound; however, I have read that it will suppress ion signal. The second challenge, I cannot dehydrate the tissue in any way. So sticking the slide in 95% Ethanol after sectioning to clear the OCT compound, is not a possibility. Also, infiltrating with paraffin is an absolute out. I have been doing some digging trying to find non-polymeric embedding methods. Does anyone out there have any experience/suggestions in the following:

1) Ice slush - I'm not quite sure what exactly this is - a few publications referenced this method but I am assuming you either freeze the tissue in a block of distilled water or use the water as a "glue" to adhere the tissue to the chuck? Which I can imagine will lead to really bad freeze artifacts.
2) 10% Gelatin - it seems to have almost the same consistency as the OCT when frozen.
3) 2% aqueous carboxymethyl cellulose embedding media (Sigma C4888).
4) Cutting without any embedding media and maybe using the OCT as a "glue" to glue the tissue to the chuck - which I can imagine is going to be as fun as it sounds (especially brain). If you have any suggestions on how to make this as painless as possible - any tricks or methods you have tried and worked is much appreciated

I am also open to any other suggestions or recommendations you may have other than those listed above. I am also open to recommendations on cutting temperatures, angles etc.

Thank-you so much!

Philliesfan

Tags
analysishelp , cryosectioning , mass , spec