Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Science Forums > General Science Questions and Layperson Board
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Science Questions and Layperson Board General Science Questions and Layperson Board

Brain damaging habits

Brain damaging habits - General Science Questions and Layperson Board

Brain damaging habits - General Science Questions and Layperson Board

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2007, 02:27 PM
Nobel Laureate

Lightbulb Brain damaging habits

Hi
BRAIN DAMAGING HABITS
Well I am giving here the main brain damaging habits that leads to many brain problem, so we must avoid these in order to keep us safe.

1. No Breakfast
People who do not take breakfast are going to have a lower blood sugar level. This leads to an insufficient supply of nutrients to the brain causing brain degeneration.

2. Overeating
It causes hardening of the brain arteries, leading to a decrease in mental power.

3. Smoking
It causes multiple brain shrinkage and may lead to Alzheimer disease.

4. High Sugar consumption
Too much sugar will interrupt the absorption of proteins and nutrients causing malnutrition and may interfere with brain development.

5. Air Pollution
The brain is the largest oxygen consumer in our body. Inhaling polluted air decreases the supply of oxygen to the brain, bringing about a decrease in brain efficiency.

6. Sleep Deprivation
Sleep allows our brain to rest. Long term deprivation from sleep will accelerate the death of brain cells.

7. Head covered while sleeping
Sleeping with the head covered, increases the concentration of carbon dioxide and decrease concentration of oxygen that may lead to brain damaging effects.

8. Working your brain during illness
Working hard or studying with sickness may lead to a decrease in effectiveness of the brain as well as damage the brain.

9. Lacking in stimulating thoughts
Thinking is the best way to train our brain, lacking in brain stimulation thoughts may cause brain shrinkage.

10. Talking Rarely
Intellectual conversations will promote the efficiency of the brain

best regards
aftab
Old 01-12-2007, 02:35 AM
Ph.D Doctorate
Points: 4,766, Level: 47 Points: 4,766, Level: 47 Points: 4,766, Level: 47
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Default Re: Brain damaging habits

Great information here Aftab.

Alcohol also kills brain cells. Not recommended unless you have alcohol blocking agents, I forget whether its caffeine or vitamins that block alcohols effect on brain cell death...
Old 01-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 718, Level: 14 Points: 718, Level: 14 Points: 718, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

How about hot showers for an extended period of time? Does that causes any softening/melting effect in the brain, which is largely composed of fatty tissues? Do the unfolded lipid-protein complexes refold correctly back? If they do not refold correctly, they can cause havoc in the brain, I think..
Old 05-07-2008, 05:45 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 961, Level: 17 Points: 961, Level: 17 Points: 961, Level: 17

Smile Re: Brain damaging habits

I thought I might add to this list a little!

11. Overdosing on drugs.

12. Living a life too easy. Not undergoing any difficulties or challenges.

13. Agreeing with everyone, without ever questioning them.

14. Hanging out with bad influences, people who are dull and inarticulate.

15. Over conforming and over rebelling. Neither produce anything of much value, one should strive to stay in the middle, pushing their peers to do their best.

16. Shallow breathing. Tho body does not get enough oxygen and every cell suffers. When we consider that a hard thinker uses more oxygen then a hard physical worker, proper breathing is very important to maintaining optimal mental performance.

17. No sense of humor. Learning is accelerated when we don't constrict our thoughts, when we can loosing up a little and laugh. Too much tension is like trying to drive a car while holding the breaks. Laughing reduces tension. On the same note, being too goofy and never taking anything seriously can also damage the mind's tendencies for growth.

18. Listening to really bad music, loud and meaningless noise can mess with the mind. Studies have shown that a plant can grow as much as twice its normal rate when classical music is played, while it can wither and die if forced to listen to death metal non-stop. I am not saying the plant actually hears the music, but the vibrations have been proven to affect how it grows.

I like this thread!
Old 05-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Pipette Filler

What about drinking too much coffee? I have a bad habit of this myself,n so the question is covers personal concerns. If I had to answer myself, I would say that too much coffee can have long term undesirable effects on the mind. Does anyone have any thoughts of this?
Old 07-25-2008, 07:49 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 546, Level: 10 Points: 546, Level: 10 Points: 546, Level: 10

Not to sound like an irritating skeptic but are any of these claims supported by thorough, quantitative and convergent research. I feel they may be a bit over-the-top. For example: blood sugars relationship with neurophysiological integrity is likely more complex involving multiple variables such as a diverse array of poorly understood signaling pathways. Suffice it to say (rather crudely) that the function of vitality with respect to time is definitely one of downwards concavity
Old 07-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Volunteer
Points: 515, Level: 10 Points: 515, Level: 10 Points: 515, Level: 10

Personally I subscribe to Cliff Claven's Buffalo Theory.
Just as wolves kill the weak buffalo in a heard, making the heard stronger...
Alcohol kills the weak brain cells leaving the healthy strong brain cells to carry on making the brain a leaner, meaner, healthier organ.

[Only registered users see links. ]

Last edited by kevin_a; 07-25-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:19 AM
Pipette Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_a View Post
Personally I subscribe to Cliff Claven's Buffalo Theory.
Just as wolves kill the weak buffalo in a heard, making the heard stronger...
Alcohol kills the weak brain cells leaving the healthy strong brain cells to carry on making the brain a leaner, meaner, healthier organ.

[Only registered users see links. ]

Perhaps in light dosages, but have you ever been around a hard-core alcoholic whose been drinking for even a couple of years, the brain over damaged and doesn't get time to recuperate before being bombarded with more. These people do not show any signs that they are thinking clearer and better, often times they can't even speak clearly. Lets also not forget about the overdosed drinkers, you know...the people who stand on the street corner and talk to themselves...eh...I am struggling to see the good times and good thinking there...
Old 12-08-2008, 04:38 PM
M.D/Ph.D
Points: 4,938, Level: 47 Points: 4,938, Level: 47 Points: 4,938, Level: 47

hmmm all have very good sound arguement. For me I just wanna enjoy and ONLY avoid the sure kill me thing. alcohol? sure I would have some. lots of fat can cholesterol food? I take that too. anything that enjoyable and does not kill me. but heck i don't plan to live more than 100years even when science allowed it....
Old 10-16-2009, 11:13 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1

Interesting

Tags
brain , damaging , habits