Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Science Forums > General Science Questions and Layperson Board
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Science Questions and Layperson Board General Science Questions and Layperson Board

A date with creation and evolution!

A date with creation and evolution! - General Science Questions and Layperson Board

A date with creation and evolution! - General Science Questions and Layperson Board

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2011, 05:00 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default A date with creation and evolution!

Once i got this professor in biology who told us about evolution, I am not against him or anything but I will stand on my belief that I did not came from a one single cell amoeba and truly my forefathers are not apes! oh my! I was created beautifully by God and I am not to be expected to believe to those degree holder professors. Sorry if I made this post as an expression board. Thanks to you! I love the story of creation and I don't know what is there basis on there absurd ideas.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:27 AM
M.D/Ph.D
Points: 4,149, Level: 43 Points: 4,149, Level: 43 Points: 4,149, Level: 43
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

Default Re: A date with creation and evolution!

Excuse me but if something IS absurd that is creationism. God, religion and creationism are man's creations as well as science, the difference is that science is based on FACTS, almost always proven (theorical physics and such are the exceptions); and religion is only based in somebody's (a human) belief which was magnifyied by people's gossip.

As a biologist I can tell you there's nothing godly about our creation, it was just survival of the fittest and a lot of randomness, at least until something else is proven.

As I told in a previous post: You can beleive in anything you like, but you can't deny something that is true (evolution) and even religion accept it as a fact.

Take this as a serious criticism and make your own conclusions.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:27 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1

luisillo, I had similar beliefs as you until I searched more deeply into the matter. Yes, science is based on "FACTS" but look how often science is wrong. We look and laugh at the science of even last century. Yet it was also founded on these "FACTS" that you speak of. Explain to me how medicine can be so wrong about so many things? And if it's all based on facts why is everything constantly under so much change?

To say that there's nothing godly of creation only shows how little biology you've studied. Look into any matter and you will see infinite wisdom as far as you can search. Randomness? If you came across 3 rocks piled one on top of the other on a beach you would immediately think that an intelligent being (another person) had arranged them like that. But when you look at tissue under a microscope and see billions of cells arranged in extremely complex formations you're going to tell me that it's random?

Old 07-19-2011, 02:39 AM
M.D/Ph.D
Points: 4,149, Level: 43 Points: 4,149, Level: 43 Points: 4,149, Level: 43
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by random3141 View Post
Yes, science is based on "FACTS" but look how often science is wrong. We look and laugh at the science of even last century. Yet it was also founded on these "FACTS" that you speak of. Explain to me how medicine can be so wrong about so many things?
Science does not fail, humans fail. Errors are due to a lack of knowledge or a lack of tools to get to that knowledge. And even if we were supreme and had everything we need to study whatever we want, there will still be a problem: our understanding. Each person has different point of view, even with the same body of evidence at hand. Just look at us discussing about god and nature.

Quote:
And if it's all based on facts why is everything constantly under so much change?
As every good thing, science is always changing in order to get better. Every day, every minute, science is changing, just as everything does. "It's evolution baby" xD

Quote:
To say that there's nothing godly of creation only shows how little biology you've studied.Look into any matter and you will see infinite wisdom as far as you can search.
You sounded like a phrase of religious magazine.

Quote:
Randomness? If you came across 3 rocks piled one on top of the other on a beach you would immediately think that an intelligent being (another person) had arranged them like that. But when you look at tissue under a microscope and see billions of cells arranged in extremely complex formations you're going to tell me that it's random?
Not precisely. With randomness I mean that there are a lot of variables involved and if one of them had been different maybe we weren't what we are now. In other words, where not a product of fate. About biologyc structures, they obey physico-chemical laws, not the will of a superior intelligence.

Quote:
luisillo, I had similar beliefs as you until I searched more deeply into the matter.
With all due respect, where did you searched? In the bible?

Old 07-20-2011, 02:39 PM
Post-Doc
Points: 2,383, Level: 31 Points: 2,383, Level: 31 Points: 2,383, Level: 31

Quote:
luisillo, I had similar beliefs as you until I searched more deeply into the matter. Yes, science is based on "FACTS" but look how often science is wrong.
About 1/1,000,000th as often as religion.

Quote:
We look and laugh at the science of even last century. Yet it was also founded on these "FACTS" that you speak of. Explain to me how medicine can be so wrong about so many things? And if it's all based on facts why is everything constantly under so much change?
Because facts (more accurately, observations) are simply the first step in science - what follows next is synthesis of those facts into an explanatory hypothesis/theory. That later part is a purely human endeavor - and thus subject to human error. The facts always remain true; its how we interpret them that changes.

And I'd point out that many of these theories have changed very little, and most of the changes which do occur are alterations to existing theories instead of replacement. Incrementally improving something is not a defect in the process - its an utter necessity to finding the truth.

Quote:
To say that there's nothing godly of creation only shows how little biology you've studied.
LOL, being a professor who both researches and teaches biology, I expect the amount I've studies into biology far exceeds your effort.

Quote:
Look into any matter and you will see infinite wisdom as far as you can search.
Like vestigial organs, backwards retinas, and my back?

Quote:
Randomness?
Ahh, the old creationist card of randomness. If you wanted to confirm that you have not studied biology extensively, congratulations - you just proved it beyond any shadow of a doubt. The only part of the evolutionary process which is random is mutation - everything else is directed by the physical laws which drive our universe, and evolutionary "forces" like selection and drift.

About the only people who expect complex life to arise spontaneously in creationists (that is, after all, exactly what creationism implies). Those who understand evolution and abiogenesis realize that complex life arises through the incremental acquisition of complexity over eons.

Quote:
About the only thing "serious" about this was your abject ignorance of basic biological concepts.

Bryan
luisillo (07-21-2011)
Old 09-08-2011, 03:42 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 66, Level: 1 Points: 66, Level: 1 Points: 66, Level: 1

i love science!
Old 09-10-2011, 03:47 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 77, Level: 1 Points: 77, Level: 1 Points: 77, Level: 1

Theory of Theistic (try to study this theory)

@modesta12-Well, we're just the same, here we really value our religion but u should also respect Charles Darwin's idea . . . (after all no one could ever deny that he's genius!)

Tags
creation , date , evolution