Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Science Forums > General Science Questions and Layperson Board
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Science Questions and Layperson Board General Science Questions and Layperson Board

James Watson, Asilomar and research bans ...

James Watson, Asilomar and research bans ... - General Science Questions and Layperson Board

James Watson, Asilomar and research bans ... - General Science Questions and Layperson Board

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2009, 01:22 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default James Watson, Asilomar and research bans ...

In an argument with a conservative molecular biologist recently, he asserted that Democrats banned research into recombinant DNA during the late 70s and early 80s, based on the Asilomar protocols. I'm researching this at the moment, but there's not a great deal available on the web that directly addresses his core assertion. I've ordered the book he cites, but if anyone has any links or information directly relating to the politics surrounding Asilomar and its impact, I'd appreciate it.

This is the book he cited -- I'm skeptical from the word go given Watson's history with eugenics and relatively conservative IQ thinking (Crick's too) ... but the guy was a bona fide genius and, while skeptical, I'm open to the possibility this is in fact an accurate assertion. I'd like to know.

I'd link in the book; it's "The DNA Story." But, having fewer than five posts on this forum, it's preventing the link.

Thanks for any help or direction.

Tags
asilomar , bans , james , james watson , research , watson