Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum

Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum (http://www.molecularstation.com/forum/)
-   Gene Therapy (http://www.molecularstation.com/forum/gene-therapy/)
-   -   The future of Gene Therapy - Viral or Non-Viral (http://www.molecularstation.com/forum/gene-therapy/74206-future-gene-therapy-viral-non-viral.html)

BioBM 11-02-2010 09:01 PM

The future of Gene Therapy - Viral or Non-Viral

Without too much discussion on the matter (I don't want to accidentally say anything to bias my audience), I was wondering what you all think the future of gene therapy will be for human therapies - viral, non-viral, both?

POLL TIME! :thewave:

danfive 11-02-2010 09:44 PM

Re: The future of Gene Therapy - Viral or Non-Viral

probably something like the lipoparticle, siRNA (remember no cures, just treatments), stem-cell like (person's own tissue modified then re-implanted).

Warthaug 11-03-2010 12:55 PM

Going to be a mix, IMO. Viruses remain the only way we can significantly modify a large number of cells in adults, but likewise will also remain risky. Other techniques are better in some cases, and worse in others. Gene therapy is, and will continue, to occur. But no one toolbox will dominate - we'll use what is best for the specific conditions at hand.

Bryan

uchiharigardo 08-06-2011 02:40 AM

I believe that with advances in genetic engineering to develop efficient viral vectors for use in gene therapy are possible and eliminate some limiting factors of this kind of vector.

Zagami 08-19-2013 08:51 AM

In fall 2012, the European Medicines Agency (EMA) approved the modified adeno-associated virus AAV-LPL S447X as the first-ever gene therapy for clinical use in the Western world. The viruses modified for gene therapy cannot integrate their DNA into the host cell genome, because they lack a particular enzyme needed for this. Is excluded also that AAV-LPL S447X tends to integrate at sites in the genome where this integration might activate cancer-promoting genes. In most cases, the viral genome persists in the cytoplasm as a separate structure. If it is integrated, this happens at random sites. This modified adeno-associated virus has been observed that he integrates into the mitochondrial genome. The developed AAV-LPL S447X was used for the treatment of a rare inherited metabolic disease called lipoprotein lipase deficiency (LPLD). In future, AAV-LPLS447X shall be used as a viral vector to deliver an intact gene copy to affected cells for several neurodegenerative diseases.