Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Cell Biology and Cell Culture > Flow Cytometry Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Flow Cytometry Forum Flow Cytometry Forum. Discuss FACS cell sorting, flow cytometry, analysis and cell staining.

cd4 cells activation cytometry problems

cd4 cells activation cytometry problems - Flow Cytometry Forum

cd4 cells activation cytometry problems - Flow Cytometry Forum. Discuss FACS cell sorting, flow cytometry, analysis and cell staining.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 05:40 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 551, Level: 11 Points: 551, Level: 11 Points: 551, Level: 11
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Smile cd4 cells activation cytometry problems

Hi, everyone!
I will get straight forward to the point. I defrosted human PBMCs and separated CD4 cells using MACS CD4 isolation kit. I performed a flow cytometry with ECD CD4, the same day, and I found a 97% purity of CD4 cells. I left these CD4 cells overnight with RPMI,pen/strep and 15% FBS and the next morning I stimulated them for 5 hours with PMA and Ionomycin. Afterwards, I stained 100.000 of these cells with human CD40L PE and another 100.000 cells were left Unstained. After washing with PBS I performed a flow cytometry. What I noticed was that I got two different populations very close to each other (actually up and down) for both stained and unstained cells. My first question is:
Could one of these populations be dead cells OR could one of these populations be the activated and the other the non activated cells? I don't know which population to choose; should I choose both?
Moreover, on the CD 40L PE (FL2) histogram (log) plot I get a bizarre view:
When I ran the Unstained Cells I had a certain population. Using the same protocol, I ran the CD40L PE stained cells where I got another population which is pretty displaced to the right and has 2 peaks (actually as if there were two different populations). My second question is:
Could this happen because of the staining with CD40L PE? I mean, does this
antibody have any effect on the CD4 cells apart from marking? The staining with CD 40L PE lasted 40 minutes, if this helps. What I believe is that at the CD40L PE stained cells, the subpopulation on the right (approximately 60%) is the activated cells and on the left is the non activated cells.
I have the same results and questions when instead of PMA Ionomycin I stimulate the cells using anti CD3 CD28 beads.

Thanks in advance for your help

Tags
activation , cd4 , cells , cytometry , problems