Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Epigenetics Forum: DNA Methylation, Histone and Chromatin Study
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Epigenetics Forum: DNA Methylation, Histone and Chromatin Study An Epigenetics Forum Dealing with DNA Methylation, the study of histones and chromatin

DNA Methylation

DNA Methylation - Epigenetics Forum: DNA Methylation, Histone and Chromatin Study

DNA Methylation - An Epigenetics Forum Dealing with DNA Methylation, the study of histones and chromatin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2010, 02:48 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Smile DNA Methylation

As it relates to restriction enzymes...

Background:

In prokaryotes, restriction enzymes cut up foreign DNA to protect the cell from inadvertantly copying outside DNA (i.e., from a phage). The cell protects its own DNA by methylation. Methyl groups are added to the 6N of A and the 5C of C in its own DNA.

Question:

Why are the methyl groups added only to A and C? What about the chemical structure of A and C makes them receptive to methyl groups, and what about T and G makes them unreceptive?

I'm still in highschool and just learning the beginnings of biochemistry, so please feel free to dumb things down. I am atleast familiar with functional groups and have a basic knowledge of Lewis dot structures, which I'd guess is vital to understanding this phenomena.

Anything to shed some light on this question would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Michael
The Following User Says Thank You to hamsterboy121 For This Useful Post:
alshareefam (10-06-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 07:19 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 1,570, Level: 23 Points: 1,570, Level: 23 Points: 1,570, Level: 23
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Re: DNA Methylation

You have brought up an excellent question. I cannot answer your question directly based stricly on biochemistry. I believe that it is very much a question of evolution. There are many methytransferases (enzymes) which are also somewhat organism specific. I believe that the evolution is going in somewhat unpredictable ways although, there are many general patterns. So somewhere along the way the first methyltransferase was fitting better to methylate A or C base.
It has been said that biology is all about evolution. This statement is compounded with every new discovery in biology.
You might be interested to read a very interesting book: The Epigenetics Revolution by Nessa Carey
This book shows how epigenetics is all about the control of many biological functions.
Sincerely
Vladimir karasek
The Following User Says Thank You to vladkara For This Useful Post:
alshareefam (10-06-2012)

Tags
dna , dna methylation , methylation , restriction enzyme , restriction enzymes