Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Epigenetics Forum: DNA Methylation, Histone and Chromatin Study
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Epigenetics Forum: DNA Methylation, Histone and Chromatin Study An Epigenetics Forum Dealing with DNA Methylation, the study of histones and chromatin

Inconsistent DNA methylation results from bisulfite-PCR!

Inconsistent DNA methylation results from bisulfite-PCR! - Epigenetics Forum: DNA Methylation, Histone and Chromatin Study

Inconsistent DNA methylation results from bisulfite-PCR! - An Epigenetics Forum Dealing with DNA Methylation, the study of histones and chromatin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2009, 10:55 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 434, Level: 8 Points: 434, Level: 8 Points: 434, Level: 8
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Unhappy Inconsistent DNA methylation results from bisulfite-PCR!

Dear all,

I am currently trying to analyze DNA methylation pattern of certain imprinted gene with bisufite-PCR method follwed by sequencing. The PCR has been always working in my hand. However, I got inconsistent results of methylation pattern in one particular sample. The sample is DNA from 10,000 of somatic cells from mouse (sorted by flow cytometry). When I triplicated the PCR individually from the same sample, one result is that all of PCR products were almost free from methylation. Second result was that almost of PCR products were fully methylated. Third result was that ratio of methylated and unmethylated PCR products were the same.
Since other samples prepared in the same way (same number of somatic cells PCRed for the same gene) have been giving us consistent results, I am not sure what is happening to bisulfite-PCR of that my particular sample.

Does anyone have the same experience?

Thank you.
Rio Sugimura
Old 07-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 86, Level: 1 Points: 86, Level: 1 Points: 86, Level: 1

Default Re: Inconsistent DNA methylation results from bisulfite-PCR!

When you are using a kit to perform the bisulfite conversion itself, it is IMO unlikely that this could be the cause of the inconsistent results. Just make sure you don't convert more DNA than is advised in the kit manual and use freshly made reagent. Primers and PCR programs to amplify from bisulfite template can be tricky. If your primers are not specific enough for the bisulfite treated DNA you may amplify reisdual or contaminating unconverted genomic DNA. Same goes for the program used. I would run a negative control by amplifying from small amount of unconverted genomic DNA to check how well my primers/program amplify fragments from unconverted template.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mathijs For This Useful Post:
admin (07-15-2009), Ryohichi (08-08-2009)
Old 08-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 434, Level: 8 Points: 434, Level: 8 Points: 434, Level: 8

Default Re: Inconsistent DNA methylation results from bisulfite-PCR!

Thanks Mathijs so much for the advice!
I agree that DNA content was the key in my previous experiments.

Rio

Tags
bisulfitepcr , dna , inconsistent , methylation , results