Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Science Forums > Environmental Sciences and Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Environmental Sciences and Issues Forum on Environmental Sciences and Issues, including bioremediation and biodegradation.

Did the great flood really happen?

Did the great flood really happen? - Environmental Sciences and Issues

Did the great flood really happen? - Forum on Environmental Sciences and Issues, including bioremediation and biodegradation.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2009, 06:19 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Did the great flood really happen?

Just curious, IF the great flood did in fact happen, then what did all the animals and Noah eat since the flood supposedly killed everything? Where did all the water go? Water levels would of had to have been upwards of 30,000 feet to completely cover the earth. Also, you're telling me that every animal species successfully bred with only ONE male and ONE female of that species? How did the penguins get back to the antarctic? Lions back to Africa? and all other species to there perspective homes? Come, are you starting to see how this is a story and JUST a story? Oh yeah, there is not one single bit of geological proof that suggests a great flood. One so big as proclaimed to be should leave quit an impact, wouldn't you think? Yet there is NOT-TA
Old 06-26-2009, 06:19 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1

I can see where you're coming from - this is very much an agenda-driven question. Leaving the theological aspects aside, let's just cover a very few points.

* There is evidence for global flooding. Layers of sediment can be found almost everywhere. Huge mats of ancient biological material exist in places like Siberia and Alaska. The famous frozen mammoths are found there.

* Virtually every ancient civilization has a flood story, myth, call it what you will. The idea of a global flood seems ubiquitous. To me, at least, this implies (note: implies, not proves) that *something* happened.

* The Bible story (since that seems to be your target) states "the waters receded". What if the preflood world was flatter? A sudden surge in tectonic activity could raise the huge mountains out of the seas, rather than causing all the water to disappear.

Do I pretend to know exactly what happened? Of course not. I wasn't there. The stories are sketchy, the evidence is, well... muddied. But I think you would be well served by taking a deep breath and relaxing. The amount of passion you're donating to one subject here is just a little over-stated.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:20 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1

geologists have known this since about 1830... the question really belongs in the religion and spirituality section, where some folks are doing their best to live in the 18th century.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:03 AM
Summer Student
Points: 326, Level: 6 Points: 326, Level: 6 Points: 326, Level: 6

Default Re: Did the great flood really happen?

As NoPlate pointed out, there is geological evidence for the "great flood". However, there is no genetic evidence for the fact that all current species were reduced to only one breeding pair per species (the amount of variation in the genome of most species is far greater than could have been recovered from one parental pair). To me this means the the Bible story blew the actual cataclysm out of proportion. Note: it happens with all myths. I take it that the flood did occur and, possibly, it covered a great amount of flat terrain in some parts of the middle east (and other parts of the world), but by no means it covered the whole earth.

Tags
flood , great , happen , _