Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Protein Science > ELISA Assay Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

ELISA Assay Forum ELISA Forum. Discuss and post questions including optimization, troubleshooting, protocols and theory of ELISA assays using monoclonal, and polyclonal antibodies or peptides.

getting background using Kathon preservative???

getting background using Kathon preservative??? - ELISA Assay Forum

getting background using Kathon preservative??? - ELISA Forum. Discuss and post questions including optimization, troubleshooting, protocols and theory of ELISA assays using monoclonal, and polyclonal antibodies or peptides.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2011, 07:32 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default getting background using Kathon preservative???

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum and just had a couple of question.

I'm running an ELISA plate right now and I have been getting background. Im using kathon at 10 ppm and I am wondering if anyone out there is getting background with kathon as well.

I ran a test plate yesterday and it had high background about 0.280 but today i did not have any background.

i don't know if this makes any difference but i switched from centrifuge tubes to glass tubes for my dilution series.

I've search but there is not much information on the web about getting background with Kathon?

What kind of preservative do you guys use. I'm working with HRP so I'm not using sodium azide.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:34 AM
Ph.D Doctorate
Points: 4,121, Level: 43 Points: 4,121, Level: 43 Points: 4,121, Level: 43

Location: Tabaka Mission Hospital - Kiisi -Kenya & Italy Sicily
Default Re: getting background using Kathon preservative???

Common preservatives in diagnostic reagents are as follows :
1. Thimerosal (0.01%) : this is expensive, difficult to dispose of (mercuric compound), and can affect assays.
2. Sodium azide (0.02–0.1%) : this is biostatic, difficult to dispose of, and can inhibit enzyme reactions.
Although both are used, even by me, for various reagents in ELISA, they do pose problems of safety and disposal. Today commercial products, ProClin and Katon CG is recommended, that is a broad-spectrum biocide, having good compatibility and stability and low toxicity at in-use levels. It eradicates bacteria, fungi, and yeast cells at very low concentration, does not interfere with enzyme reactions, and can be disposed of without restrictions. For ProClin application, see you my previously post on ProClin (*), while for Kathon GC the useful concentration starter from 15 ppm aside from pH. For specific applications ask me without any hesitation.
(*)[Only registered users see links. ]
Old 01-17-2012, 10:42 AM
Ph.D Doctorate
Points: 4,121, Level: 43 Points: 4,121, Level: 43 Points: 4,121, Level: 43

Location: Tabaka Mission Hospital - Kiisi -Kenya & Italy Sicily
Default Re: getting background using Kathon preservative???

once again
For to keep your specific reagent stable at low background when Kathon CG is used, ask me without any hesitation, quoting weights and components of your mixtures.

Tags
background , kathon , preservative , preservatives , thimerasol