Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Protein Science > ELISA Assay Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

ELISA Assay Forum ELISA Forum. Discuss and post questions including optimization, troubleshooting, protocols and theory of ELISA assays using monoclonal, and polyclonal antibodies or peptides.

Question about Plate surface variability

Question about Plate surface variability - ELISA Assay Forum

Question about Plate surface variability - ELISA Forum. Discuss and post questions including optimization, troubleshooting, protocols and theory of ELISA assays using monoclonal, and polyclonal antibodies or peptides.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2011, 03:21 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 240, Level: 4 Points: 240, Level: 4 Points: 240, Level: 4
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Question about Plate surface variability

Hi all:
I am new here and am looking forward to the discussions. I have a question for all of you ELISA experts out there: is surface variability a big issue for you? My impression is that surface variability would be especially undesirable for competitive assays? Is it more of a problem with 384 and 1536 plates than with 96-well plates? It has been a while since I did ELISAs myself so I appreciate your input.
Tina
Old 09-14-2011, 02:07 AM
Volunteer
Points: 1,621, Level: 24 Points: 1,621, Level: 24 Points: 1,621, Level: 24

Default Re: Question about Plate surface variability

Hi Tina,

Not sure about the larger plate formats, as I don't work with them. I have had issues with surface variability, especially with antigen down sandwich formats, and this includes antibody fragment down formats too. If variability is a concern, and it is not the result of a process issue (such as drift during loading) I perform uniformity assessments loading a mid curve spike in all wells and target response CVs of <7%. This is useful for detecting edge effects as well as random variability between wells. I have seen plate batch dependent variability in response ranging by as much as 50% or so from highest to lowest wells. A switch of plate type is often useful, or pre-selection of a plate batch. Manufacturer's QC process involves consistency of coating of a single labeled protein, or antibody and does not cater for the wide variety of charge/conformations of proteins that may be used in coat plating. Also, beware of pre-coated plates (streptavidin for example) which are manufacturer QCd with biotin-fluorocein and not with the relative skyscraper sized layers we can produce in assay design, so steric hindrance can exacerbate a uniformity issue, especially at high analyte concentration (for a sandwich format).

A trick I have found useful, is to pre-mix the coating reagent with an equal mass or slightly more of carrier protein (albumin or casein for example) and this can improve consistency between wells.

Hope this is useful
The Following User Says Thank You to Elisadeveloper For This Useful Post:
bbettina (09-19-2011)
Old 09-19-2011, 08:48 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 240, Level: 4 Points: 240, Level: 4 Points: 240, Level: 4

Default Re: Question about Plate surface variability

Thank you so much. Very useful!

Tags
elisa , plate , question , surface , variability