Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Protein Science > ELISA Assay Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

ELISA Assay Forum ELISA Forum. Discuss and post questions including optimization, troubleshooting, protocols and theory of ELISA assays using monoclonal, and polyclonal antibodies or peptides.

ELISA Signal from Null-mutant Problem

ELISA Signal from Null-mutant Problem - ELISA Assay Forum

ELISA Signal from Null-mutant Problem - ELISA Forum. Discuss and post questions including optimization, troubleshooting, protocols and theory of ELISA assays using monoclonal, and polyclonal antibodies or peptides.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2010, 03:36 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 754, Level: 15 Points: 754, Level: 15 Points: 754, Level: 15
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default ELISA Signal from Null-mutant Problem

Hi all,

I've been developing an sandwich ELISA for an Arabidopsis leaf protein. Below are the details of my procedure so y'all can adequately judge my method. I've just tested my method with the following kinds of samples:

1. An induced control, which shows crisp, clear bands on Western blot consistently
2. Null-mutant extract with 1 ng/uL of target protein added as a control
3. Null-mutant extract as a negative control (and to check for non-target signal)

After the ELISA I get great standard curves. But the null-mutant negative controls show equal or greater signal than the positive controls. Furthermore, I calculate the target concentration that should be 1 ng/uL as around 1.9 ng/uL. I'm really baffled by this and getting fearful my efforts have been for nothing.

Any advice at all would be hugely helpful. Thanks so much in advance!

Here are a few extra details:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
A. I just realized that I personally have never actually run the null-mutant on Western Blot but obviously someone has. However, I've blotted the whole length of the gel plenty of times with both my Primary and Secondary antibody and only very, very occasionally seen extra bands, which have always been only slightly smaller than the target and were interpreted as degraded target.

B. There was a miscalculation in my TBST recipe so that it was 0.01% Tween not the intended 0.2%... could that be a problem?

Below are the details of the procedure:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Protein Preparation:
1. Extract leaf proteins with SDS Buffer
2. Precipitate proteins with acetone and re-suspend in PBS (or Triton X-100 Buffer). Re-suspended samples show same level of signal on Western Blot using the same antibodies as in ELISA... single, crisp bands with no other signals at all.

Sandwich ELISA:
1. Coat overnight with 100 ul/well 1:4000 Rabbit polyclonal (recognizes N-terminus of target) primary antibody
2. Wash 3X with 200 ul/well TBST
3. Block overnight with 200 ul/well 5% Non-fat Dry Milk
4. Rotate for 3 hours with 90 ul (normally 100 uL) of sample (note that the protein standard was also added as 90 uL/well)
5. Wash 3X with 200 ul/well TBST
6. Rotate for 2 hours with 100 ul/well 1:1000 Hen polyclonal (recognizes C-terminus of target) secondary antibody labelled with Biotin
7. Wash 3X with 200 ul/well TBST
8. Rotate for 1 hour with 100 ul/well 1:1000 Streptavidin-AP
9. Wash 3X with 200 ul/well TBST
10. Develop with 100 uL ready-to-use pNPP reagent
11. Read at 405 nm!
The Following User Says Thank You to WolfeMD For This Useful Post:
admin (05-25-2010)

Tags
elisa , nullmutant , problem , signal