Hello. My daughter is working with D. melanogaster
for the third year for a science fair project.
Beginning about 4 to 6 weeks ago about half of the new
cultures we made die within a few days. We are using
a commercial media from Conn Valley Biological Supply.
The affected cultures have a tan colored, mucoid
substance on the surface of the media. They also have
a terrible odor. The media has mold inhibitors so we
suspect a bacterial contaminant. We submitted
cultures for bacterial identification, but the results
are not in yet. Any thoughts on what might cause this
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around [Only registered users see links. ]
In article <[Only registered users see links. ].net>,
The Hanings <[Only registered users see links. ]> wrote:
Almost certainly bacterial, from your description. You might try more
frequent flips, so there's less of an initial bacterial load, giving the
relatively few larvae a better chance, but I'd toss in some antibiotics
for a generation and see if that clears up the problem.
I don't know how things are in your part of the world, but I gave up on
Carolina medium when I worked in Nashville -- too many mold spores in
the air, so I'd routinely end up losing 1/3 to 1/2 of my vials to mold.
Whether their mold inhibitors were dead, inadequately mixed in, or just
inadequate I don't know, but I switched to cooking my own food and
haven't had a problem since. Impractical if your daughter's doing her
project at home, but I thought I'd mention it.