Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > DNA Techniques
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

DNA Techniques Post questions and discuss DNA techniques and protocols such as DNA extraction, PCR, and the study of DNA-binding proteins.

Isolation of DNA

Isolation of DNA - DNA Techniques

Isolation of DNA - Post questions and discuss DNA techniques and protocols such as DNA extraction, PCR, and the study of DNA-binding proteins.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2007, 06:03 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 1,421, Level: 22 Points: 1,421, Level: 22 Points: 1,421, Level: 22
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Isolation of DNA

Hi,

I'm a third year student of Biopharmaceutical & Healthcare Science in Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology, Ireland.

As part of the course, I have been studying the topic of Biotechnology. One of the experiments I have completed is the 'Isolation of DNA from buccal cells'. The protocol stated to use 95% ethanol to precipitate the DNA from solution. However, other protocols I have read specify the use of ice cold ethanol for this particular step in DNA isolation. So, I was wondering could anyone tell me if the ethanol should be ice cold or not?

Also, I would like to know the mechanism by which ethanol precipitates DNA.

Once the DNA is precipitated, I was wondering how long should the extracted DNA take to dissolve in 1 x SSC (15mM sodium citrate, 150mM NaCl, pH 8.0) buffer?

Finally, would someone be able to recommend a source from which a large amount of DNA can be extracted?

Thanks for all the help.
Aoife

Tags
dna , isolation