Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > DNA Techniques
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

DNA Techniques Post questions and discuss DNA techniques and protocols such as DNA extraction, PCR, and the study of DNA-binding proteins.

High Resolution Melt

High Resolution Melt - DNA Techniques

High Resolution Melt - Post questions and discuss DNA techniques and protocols such as DNA extraction, PCR, and the study of DNA-binding proteins.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2008, 02:04 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 533, Level: 10 Points: 533, Level: 10 Points: 533, Level: 10
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default High Resolution Melt

Dear all,

I'm interested in the new technique High Resolution Melt (HRM). With this technique I want to analyse the PCR products to look whether they contain mutations/polymorphisms or not.

By melting the PCR product the meltcurve is made by the software by measuring the optical features. The picture of the curve depends on the sequence of the PCR product. When there's a variation in this sequence, the meltcurve will be affected and could be distinguished from the wildtypes.

That looks useful when you want to save money (sequencing the PCR products is expensive). Most samples will not be affected by mutations and they don't need to be analysed by the sequencer. When the meltcurve of 1 PCR product is clearly affected, this sample will be sequenced to take a look what sort of mutation it contains.

So here a question. Do you have some experience with this technique HRM?
And does it help to save money by sequencing less samples? And some tips/help are very welcome.

I'll be very thankful for your help.
Grtz Brotec
Old 05-29-2008, 02:54 PM
Nobel Laureate
Points: 8,612, Level: 64 Points: 8,612, Level: 64 Points: 8,612, Level: 64

Default Re: High Resolution Melt

I'm sure you can find a lot of articles on PCR melting curve analysis for mutation discovery or allele classification. And you can do it with any real-time pcr machine.

Your idea reminds me of the product from this company ---> [Only registered users see links. ]

The LightScanner is the first and only instrument to utilize Hi-Res Melting™ for mutation scanning and genotyping in a 96- or 384-well plate system. This exciting technology, licensed exclusively to Idaho Technology, is based upon to the following patent publications: 2005-02333335 (Nucleic and Melting Analysis with Saturation Dyes) and 2006-0019253, (Amplicon Melting Analysis with Saturation dyes).

The LightScanner is unsurpassed in its temperature control and data acquisition rates. With superb sensitivity and specificity, this instrument is designed to meet the needs of high throughput scanning projects. Simply add LCGreen® dye to the initial PCR reaction– then transfer the PCR plate to the LightScanner for melting. Intuitive analysis software groups the results and provides automatic results.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:03 PM
Nobel Laureate

Wink Re: High Resolution Melt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brotec View Post
Dear all,
I'm interested in the new technique High Resolution Melt (HRM). With this technique I want to analyse the PCR products to look whether they contain mutations/polymorphisms or not.
Good Idea, I've done gene mapping using gels (3-4% agarose most of the time), but melting curves can be as accurate for distinguishing between two differently sized bands. I've also used melting curve analysis for RT-PCR products and I was very satisfied, the melting curves can look really great as long as you have good consistent extraction of DNA/RNA and optimized PCR (no extraneous bands).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brotec View Post
So here a question. Do you have some experience with this technique HRM?
And does it help to save money by sequencing less samples? And some tips/help are very welcome.

I'll be very thankful for your help.
Grtz Brotec
Obviously not sequencing the non-mutants will save you money, and you can probably save money by using conventional pcr ingredients with SYBR, you know not paying the premium for a kit.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:16 PM
Nobel Laureate

Wink Re: High Resolution Melt

Here are a few pdfs

DNA Melting Analysis: Benefits of High Resolution Systems for Mutation Scanning and Genotyping ---> [Only registered users see links. ]

Hi-Res Melting For Mutation Scanning Using LCGreen Plus Dye ---> [Only registered users see links. ]

PCR Optimization for Hi-Res Melting Applications --> [Only registered users see links. ]
Old 05-30-2008, 09:13 AM
Pipette Filler

Dear danfive,

Thanks for the links . I've learned much more about this technique

Here in my lab there's an appropriate apparatus to perform the HRM. The 7500 fast real-time PCR system of Applied Biosystems. There's a software for HRM available. To purchase this software much money is required...

It would be very desirable to hear somebody have positive experience with comparable apparatus and software to be installed in the existing PC.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:58 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 311, Level: 6 Points: 311, Level: 6 Points: 311, Level: 6

Brotec, I am also looking for others using the ABI 7500 or ABI 7900 for mutation detection. I'm currently trying to standardize the protocol using some known SNPs. I have the analysis software, and so far, the results have been inconsistent. Have you found anyone knowledgeable on this topic? any success? Tech support hasn't been responsive......
Best,
Nolan
Old 08-28-2008, 10:59 AM
Pipette Filler

Dear,

To detect mutation/polymorphism from the PCR product, the product wouldn't be bigger than 250 bp, since at 1 mutation in large amount of nucleotides the curve will be too slight affected you cannot distinguish it from curves of 'healthy' products.

I'm still not started with this technique, since my director is still investigating the possibilities/alternatives.

Maybe there's joined new people in this forum, where somebody are experienced with this technique, I'd be glad to hear experiences with this technique HRM.

Thanx in advance!
Brotec
Old 11-11-2008, 06:43 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 179, Level: 3 Points: 179, Level: 3 Points: 179, Level: 3

I would like to know which is the cheap and the best fast PCR machine with which we can do High resolution melt
Old 02-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Pipette Filler

I don't think there's a cheap means to perform the HRM technique.

It's still not performed here in my hospital, unfortunately. I've been busy with other works...
But last week I started the PC of the 7500 to perform a Taqman assay and I discovered the new software is installed! It happened secretly, I think

When the HRM is performed for the first time, I'll write the story of experiences here
Old 04-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1

Exclamation Re: High Resolution Melt

Hi Guys..
Am confused weather to procure Lightcycler 480(Roche) or ABI-7500 fast or RotorGene 6000 (Corbett)..
Kindly considering the running cost, most easy use software and best results as per industry standards..

Tags
high , melt , resolution