Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > DNA Techniques
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

DNA Techniques Post questions and discuss DNA techniques and protocols such as DNA extraction, PCR, and the study of DNA-binding proteins.

High Resolution Melt

High Resolution Melt - DNA Techniques

High Resolution Melt - Post questions and discuss DNA techniques and protocols such as DNA extraction, PCR, and the study of DNA-binding proteins.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2009, 08:34 PM
Post-Doc
Points: 2,239, Level: 30 Points: 2,239, Level: 30 Points: 2,239, Level: 30
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Re: High Resolution Melt

I use LightCycler 480 (and also 2.0 but this one is not prepared for HRM analyses). Unfortunately I've only compared this machine with Eppendorf's Mastercycler realplex, not with ABI-7500 or RotorGene 6000, so not much help there.
Hovewer I can write about my experience with systems I used.
I very much like the software provided with LightCycler 480, considered as one of the best in the market. The results are visualised better than with Ep realplex, but that's my subjective opinion. With quantification analyses the software gives you standard deviations, mean/median values, standard error values etc. Everything is dynamic, intuitive (I seldom used manual, really) and, what's very important - the service is there for you (in our case at least).
I use the lowest volumes per reaction possible and everything works just fine For this system other kits can be used, not necessarily made by Roche, but Roche's always give the best results.
It is 7-channel system, which may be of some importance, and the heating-cooling system (block) gives you high temperature homogeneity. Of course it is prepared for HRM.

Where is the catch? The system is regarded as rather expensive. And it's not the machine itself, but kits, which are a bit more expensive than others - in the long run that matters more. The good thing is that kits for LC 480 are twice as cheap as for LC 2.0, so they are improving
Old 09-28-2010, 01:21 PM
Pipette Filler

Our lab have ABI-7900, and stepone machine recently. According to the website of ABI, these two machine, especially 7900, both have the capability of HRM. But no HRM software was equipped when buying the device. Anyone knows where can download ABI HRM software?
Old 05-18-2012, 07:49 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 279, Level: 5 Points: 279, Level: 5 Points: 279, Level: 5

In my opinion 7500fast is more effective we have both 7500fast and rotorgene but now my director asked me to stop working on rotorgene because the confidence is very low compared to 7500fast .
Old 10-03-2012, 06:35 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 52, Level: 1 Points: 52, Level: 1 Points: 52, Level: 1

I have now in my laboratory a Bio-Rad CFX96 with HRM possibilities)) I will try to make protocols for SNPs and small mutations causing some genetic deseases of cats and dogs. I have a one question to: dear colleagues at your opinion should i use reagents of Bio-Rad company or I can buy reagents of any company I want?

Tags
high , melt , resolution