Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Science Forums > Biochemistry Forum > DNA Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

DNA Forum Discuss DNA, the molecule of hereditary. Topics include DNA structure, DNA replication, DNA function.

GC content partly predicted 2 or more RNA polymerases in eukaryotes??

GC content partly predicted 2 or more RNA polymerases in eukaryotes?? - DNA Forum

GC content partly predicted 2 or more RNA polymerases in eukaryotes?? - Discuss DNA, the molecule of hereditary. Topics include DNA structure, DNA replication, DNA function.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 06:34 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 758, Level: 15 Points: 758, Level: 15 Points: 758, Level: 15
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default GC content partly predicted 2 or more RNA polymerases in eukaryotes??

Hello.
I'm reading in my molecular biology book by Robert Weaver, reading about the eukaryot RNA polymerase. This is a book which uses a fair amount of its time on the experiments which lead to the knowledge presented. It starts out with 3 reasons for why there probably should be at least 2 RNA polymerase:
(and we all know that there is 3 nuclear RNA polymerases, at least that is what I'm told )
"...(1) They have a different base composition from that of other nuclear genes. For example, rat rRNA genes have a GC content of 60%, but the rest of the DNA has a GC content of 40 %"
the two others are that the rRNA genes is unusually repetitive and that they are in different compartments (nucleolus and nucleoplasm).
I'm not sure I understand why the different GC content lead to believe that there are more than one RNA polymerase. Is it because the different polymerases are optimized for different GC content (although I don't know how that mechanism would work, I would love to know it) or something completely different?
Hope you can help me
Old 05-22-2012, 07:59 AM
UnSubscribed Vendor Advertiser
Points: 466, Level: 9 Points: 466, Level: 9 Points: 466, Level: 9
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Smile Re: GC content partly predicted 2 or more RNA polymerases in eukaryotes??

Hope u can find what u want...
wish all the best to ur new book

Tags
content , eukaryotes , partly , polymerases , predicted , rna