Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Science Forums > Biochemistry Forum > DNA Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

DNA Forum Discuss DNA, the molecule of hereditary. Topics include DNA structure, DNA replication, DNA function.

DNA charge

DNA charge - DNA Forum

DNA charge - Discuss DNA, the molecule of hereditary. Topics include DNA structure, DNA replication, DNA function.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009, 04:04 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 54, Level: 1 Points: 54, Level: 1 Points: 54, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Lightbulb DNA charge

what is the total charge of the dna molecule? not the 'negative' thing.. can u pl tell me the value ? how does charge of DNA vary with its concentration?
Old 08-11-2009, 02:21 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 44, Level: 1 Points: 44, Level: 1 Points: 44, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Re: DNA charge

I'm new here, so first I want to say "hello everyone". Having made my introduction I guess I'll jump right in:

The total charge of the "DNA molecule" is not one set value. The charge would vary with the length of the molecule (i.e. the number of nucleotides). I would assume you are referring to double stranded DNA (you didn't specify otherwise), so just draw a base pair labeling all charges as appropriate (and of course negating those which would be used up in forming phosho-esters) and that total charge should be at least proportional to the number of base pairs plus -4. Of course this is also dependent on the pH of the solution that contains the DNA (If the pH is such that the hydoxyl groups on the phosphates are protonated, the charge would be less negative)...but at physiological pH, and ignoring a bunch of other variables (cations like Mg++, etc.), that could give you a good idea.

Anyone feel free to add/detract from the above!

Tags
charge , dna , dna charge