Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > DNA Techniques > DNA Extraction Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

DNA Extraction Forum DNA Isolation Forum. A forum specifically about questions on DNA extraction and purification.

Purifiying 40bp DNA for recombination

Purifiying 40bp DNA for recombination - DNA Extraction Forum

Purifiying 40bp DNA for recombination - DNA Isolation Forum. A forum specifically about questions on DNA extraction and purification.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2010, 05:27 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 380, Level: 7 Points: 380, Level: 7 Points: 380, Level: 7
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Purifiying 40bp DNA for recombination

I'm attempting to recombine mutants of a 3kb gene and am thinking of using Stemmer's method (ie DNaseI digestion, primerless PCR then PCR amplification). I found a paper that digests DNA fully using Mn2+ and DNaseI to ~40bp fragments. They purified the fragments with spin column. I'm just wondering if there are protocols to purify DNA of such small molecular weight without spin columns since that would add extra cost to my project. Would EtOH precipitation work? Also, are there any other recombination protocols? I've tried StEP PCR but am getting mostly smears and low yield, probably due to the size of the gene.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:47 PM
M.D/Ph.D
Points: 4,061, Level: 42 Points: 4,061, Level: 42 Points: 4,061, Level: 42

Default Re: Purifiying 40bp DNA for recombination

Can you run your 40 bp fragment on a gel and purify it from it? You can use either agarose or polyacrilamide, but I would suggest the latter at 12% considering the size of your fragment.

I don't know how expensive are the gel purification kits in comparison with spin columns, but I suggest you check it since its likely that you'll have to purify that DNA in a better way than ethanol precipitation.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:46 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 380, Level: 7 Points: 380, Level: 7 Points: 380, Level: 7

Based on the paper, DnaseI with Mn2+ digest DNA only down to 40bp and not much further, so the DNA mixture consist of almost exclusively 40bp fragments. Moreover, for my application, the size of the fragments is not critical since all I want is a variety of fragments for recombination. I just need to ensure DNase and Mn2+ are deactivated/removed so that they don't interfere with the subsequent PCR. I know Qiagen has a nucleotide removal kit that's suitable for my application. Are there any cheaper alternatives or brands?
Old 01-10-2011, 08:39 PM
M.D/Ph.D
Points: 4,061, Level: 42 Points: 4,061, Level: 42 Points: 4,061, Level: 42

Ok. Can you do phenol:chloroform:isoamyl alcohol and chloroform:isoamyl alcohol washes to get rid of the enzyme?

Mn2+ ions could be chelated with an EDTA buffer. Why not resuspending the DNA pellet in TE (Tris-EDTA) buffer?

When done properly both methods work well for PCR purposes. The first is time consuming but both are money savers.

Tags
40bp , dna , purifiying , recombination