Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > DNA Techniques > DNA Extraction Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

DNA Extraction Forum DNA Isolation Forum. A forum specifically about questions on DNA extraction and purification.

Storage of Purified DNA

Storage of Purified DNA - DNA Extraction Forum

Storage of Purified DNA - DNA Isolation Forum. A forum specifically about questions on DNA extraction and purification.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2008, 12:36 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 2,176, Level: 29 Points: 2,176, Level: 29 Points: 2,176, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Question Storage of Purified DNA

Hello again,
I would like to properly store my purified DNA from plant leaf tissues for a long time. What is the best method to do this?

Did you find that long preservation times affected the quality of DNA?

Also do you grind the samples directly and store them at -80o C or is there there no difference if the samples are kept as leaves and grinded only before isolation/analysis?

thanks
Old 06-23-2008, 12:40 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Storage of Purified DNA

Hello there,
welcome to the forums.

I guess the storage of your plant DNA samples will depend on the type of storage you have available.

Also factors will include how dry your isolated leaves are? Are they in ethanol or did you fix them in formaldehyde?

To grind or not to grid I guess depends on optimization. Have you tried to see the quality of the DNA by grinding or isolation with another method?

Also, grinding may damage the DNA. Repeated freeze thawing is not good at all so you would have to make sure that this does not happen whatever method you do use.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:42 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 2,483, Level: 32 Points: 2,483, Level: 32 Points: 2,483, Level: 32
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Cool Re: Storage of Purified DNA

Hi there, sound similar to one of my projects.

I once kept frozen leaves for more than a year and the quality was good. Keep your samples at -80 degree Celcius, after you snap freeze the samples in liquid Nitrogen for storage.

I wouldnt grind the leaves and store them. Ground tissues easily thaw during handling or transfer, and this may cause DNA degradation.
Unless lysis buffer can be added immediately then you will get bad samples.

I wouldn't store the leaves at -20 C make sure its -80 degree Celcius.

good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to deebee12 For This Useful Post:
beginner (06-15-2011)

Tags
dna , purified , storage